this weekend

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

this weekend

Post by Al Donald »

Doesn't look like much wind about this weekend, so how about biking somewhere. The ground should be quite dry now so perhaps somewhere other than the usual trails?? I hope to get some new bits fitted to my bike before then. Probably Sunday preferred - holiday traffic on Saturday!
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

We thought we'd try Lake Tahoe, but I guess that will be a touch too far for most :D :D
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Lake tahoe is fantastic, just the ticket for you after Whistler - hire a downhill bike, presuure suit, get a lift pass and blast!!!

I am thinking of a long ride on the Ridgeway - possible Newbury to Swindon on Saturday, 25 miles minimum mileage but can only get 1 othe bike in the van for jackie to drop off at the start point.

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I am keen to ride.

Sunday is an attractive option, as Saturday may be wet in Wales and elsewhere (More important, I need to do some bike maintenance).

The Gap, Whytes & the Wall combined, Mountain Ash, Wentwood and FOD (guided) are all on my wish list 8)
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
dro
surf god
surf god

question

Post by dro »

Is that the Kidwelly Lake Tahoe you are referring to (famous for it's power boat racing,world speed record attempts and of course the fearsome monster of the deep) or some other inconsequential puddle of water ?
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Nigel, how about Wentwood as it's a bit closer. Maybe we can follow an old route from your GPS. I'd be looking for a late start though, say midday. I'll try to speak to you later.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Wentwood it is, then.

However, becuase of the forecast high of 26C tomorrow, we're planning to start early(ish) - though not as early as I'd like.

Plan is to be there at 09:30-09:45 for 10:00 start tomorrow.

I've never cycled Wentwood, so it'll be an experience for me - hopefully a good one ;)

All others are welcome to join us.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Start postponed to 10.30.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

It was hot. And humid. 1st time I've ever got through all the water in my Camelback - all 2.5l of it. And it ran out a way before the climb up Gray Hill.

But an interesting ride, with some very mixed trails - from dry sand to small lakes - with some decidedly stupid steep bits, on one of which I had an involuntary close-quarters introduction to the undergrowth. Fortunately nettle-free at that point.

It's also amazing how lost you can get following an existing GPS track on a GPS. WITH an accompanying printed map AND a real compass. We spent an awful lot of time studying maps, the sun's position, OS grid references - though I found it all added to the enjoyment. You don't get to do that kind of thing at the trail centres. And it all added up to quality recovery time ;)

Thanks to Al & Nigel for the company, and to Nigel for providing the guiding service. Comparing my track-log from yesterday with Nigel's - which, I believe, was a couple of years old - it seems like some of the older trails either no longer exist, or have been lost to summer's luxuriant overgrowth. Interestingly, it appears that the route we took before starting the climb up Gray Hill - where I said "it's thataway", only to change my mind 300m, further on and retracing our route, WAS indeed, the right path. Trouble was, my GPS's compass must have been telling porkies at that point, saying E rather than S. And we were only about 50m from the end of that bit when we turned around :(. That caused a 1.5km additional stretch.

Good training for the Exmoor Explorer?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

A scorcher, although the forest cover provided some welcome shade. Otherwise, there was little/no wind to prove any relief.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day's excursion which, as Martin mentioned, was part riding and part backcountry skills/orienteering. Martin's prowess with the map was essential.

I have discovered a few more limitations when following a GPS track: in the trees the signal you are receiving (and following) can be equally spurious, if the track crosses over itself then the GPS is as likely to switch to the new track as follow the old one and if you are going to use a map, then you need a separate compass (the GPS direction can be misleading). However, collectively we managed to retrace the route taken by BMBC in 2006, which was a significant achievement in its own right.

One of the sections of woodland (where I broke a rear hanger) has now gone and looks like a moonscape. However, it was easy to ride around this 'carbuncle'.

We never found the 'magic tree' and Martin kept giving me a funny look each time I mentioned it. Nor did we find the new North Shore Section.

I also took along a map from the Wentood Downhill group, who are maintaining and extending the old Dragon Downhill course. After you drop down onto the fire road at the end, the track continues on the other side of the road. The track goes off to the right but it has become heavily rutted (as I discovered afterwards) and is slowly being reclaimed by nature. The downhillers have started a new track to the left, which reaches a blind end after a short distance. There are a number of jumps, which are not rollable and they did they not have chicken run options. I am told this is work in progress.

A challenge to navigate, but thanks to Martin and Al it was a great day's ride.

PS I was very surprised by how wet and rutted some of the forest access roads are.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Thanks to the excellent navigational skills of Nigel and Martin we had an interesting and enjoyable ride. The frequent stops were welcome as I was suffering due to a lack of fitness and the heat. I bailed out of the final climb up to Gray Hill, and was glad I did so - decidedly groggy on the drive home. I had one excursion over the handlebars on the downhill but fortunately landed on my feet.