Afan - Sun 17th August

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

RaV
surf god
surf god

Afan - Sun 17th August

Post by RaV »

With the current soggy conditions we have decided on a trip to Afan on Sunday as it holds up well in the wet. Shouldn't be having to think like this in August really!!

So, plan is to meet at Glyncorrag at 10.15 for a a 10.30 start and do the Whyte's Level and Wall combo.

Anyone fancy joining us?

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Would love to do the ride. However, the forecast is looking windy, so I will make a late decision.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Became stuck in front of the TV so hope to ride tomorrow. See you there.

Is anyone passing this way with a spare seat?

dro
surf god
surf god

hm

Post by dro »

very tempting
as usual do not wait for me but hope to be there as long as you can all face having a slow coach dragging behind.
LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?

RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Sorry Nigel, would have liked to have been able to give you a lift, but we've got a full car with 3 bods and 3 bikes already. :(

See you tomorrow :D

steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Great Ride, W2, if long (6 hours...fortunately most of the stops were at the top if the climbs :) . This takes you up the climb by the new centre, down the first bit of Whites Level then across to the Wall and down to the bottom. Back up then across to where we left Whites and down the new Energy section and finally down the rest of Whites. A couple of good bits to mention; Rob, Paul and myself managed to clean the Graveyard :D although we think maybe they've changed the layout a bit to make it easier and EVERYONE needs to have a go at the new Energy section on Whites. Just fantastic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I will learn to carve! (and jump)

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

A good one. Thanks Rob for not getting us lost and to Jemma, Paul, Vicky, Steve and Viv (& Kirsty) for your company and good humour.

The day felt like a Trek reunion party. So much noo kit.

Although I have been keen to do this ride for some time I was feeling a little apprehensive as to how my body might hold out.

So, I embarked on a serious day's training on Saturday, by sitting in front of the TV and absorbing the Olympic performances by osmosis. It is all very well the commentators saying pain is temporary and glory is permanent, but I don't think they had the Wall/Whytes combo in mind at the time.

As Rob said, this is a high value ride with action all the way around.

My bike was the first to complain. I thought everything was OK until the mud induced a few phantom shifts, but nothing of any great concern. Then towards the end of the Energy section this switched into chain suck. It starts to hit just as you are at your tiredest. I apologise to anyone in earshot.

Finally on the last run down, cramp started to gradually creep down my leg.

The timing was excellent, just one last wonderful downhill and a slow potter back to Drop Off cafe.

A wonderful ride and given the rain on the way home, we were very lucky weather wise.

The GPS shows we rode 24.9mi and climbed 1268 m. (which is similar to the short Exmoor Explorer at 24.5 miles & 1050 m and the full Skyline, which was 28.4 miles and 1,100m) However, we did take our time.

:D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.