Forest of Dean - Sun Sept 28.

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Forest of Dean - Sun Sept 28.

Post by MartinF »

Nigel and I are planning a long-overdue foray into the FoD - hopefully to hunt down and conquer a few hidden delights.

Leisurely start - probably arriving in the Pedalabikeaway centre car park about 11:00 ish.

All welcome. May be best to call me on 0 seven 8 one 3 6 o four two 4 8.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Well - I don't know about conquered, but we certainly found a few hidden delights, in possibly the driest conditions I've ever seen in the forest.

First, we did the FodCA trail: Short but not to be underestimated technically. Trying to avoid being run down by all the people doing the Enduro event, we headed out into the sticks, only to have to keep trying very hard not to be run down by downhill nutters, some of whom seemed barely out of nappies.

The downhill sections are very short. The nutters would do these endlessly - and at huge speed - and then push back up. Most times, they were back at the "start" before we were. We having ridden up round the fire roads.

Eventually, we headed back down to the caff, and then decided to do a lap of the enduro course, now the racing was over. A tough brute of a course with some impossible climbs and fantastic singletrack and downhill bits.

I think the FoD has gone up a couple of notches in Nigel's opinion.

Fugawi track log attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

For clarity, I've split up the track log into 3 distinct sections...
  • FoDCA trail
  • Nutters play area
  • Enduro / XC trail
Fugawi track logs attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

The last time I visited the FOD it was wet, we cycled aimlessly around looking for trails – without finding any ‘adrenalin’ moments at all - , we frequently lost our way and it was a great anticlimax. So, although I knew there was some great riding in the area my expectations were not very high.

What a contrast. The sun shone. Martin has a highly developed sense of direction and there were numerous full helmeted/suited downhillers to ask directions. Some were so young they could hardly reach the ground.

The highlight, for me, was finding three downhill sections which were exciting without exceeding my technical ability. We did the top sections half a dozen or so times. As my confidence – and the speed - increased I found I was getting more airtime than I was comfortable with 8) , but fortunately there are no mishaps to report.

A brilliant day, with low expectations and high outcomes. :lol: :lol: :lol: On the journey up to the FOD my map reading was not so hot. After that, Martin takes full credit for getting us around the FOD without needing to open the OS map.

One day, I still hope to join a guided tour, although I suspect we have already discovered some of the gems.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar