Forest of Dean tomorrow (Sun, Jan 4)

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Forest of Dean tomorrow (Sun, Jan 4)

Post by MartinF » Sat Jan 03, 2009 18:31

Nigel & I will be at the Pedalabikeaway Centre at about 11:00am, with no cunning plan to do anything in particular. That means we'll probably do the Enduro trail and / or some of the other slog up / fly down short sections in the West of the MTB area. All of this assumes that the 'dozers haven't been sent in to do the "forestry thing".

There are no scheduled closures on the Severn Bridge (M48) tomorrow, so - apart from getting lost - it should be a short journey.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long » Sun Jan 04, 2009 07:07

Afraid we won't be joining you today, need to strip down my bike in preparation for getting the bottom bracket repaired :-(

Looks like the weather should warm up for you despite a very cold start to the night last night. Hope you have a good one.
If found, please return to the pub.

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long » Sun Jan 04, 2009 21:20

Snowed here this afternoon - hope you had better luck on your ride. Looking at the weather forecast this morning, it implied the FOD was going to be coldest part of the country today :-)
If found, please return to the pub.

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF » Sun Jan 04, 2009 21:39

Joy & I went to The Ship, Oldbury on Severn, last night. Minus 8 degrees (outside, not inside).

FoD was a balmy minus 4.5 degrees when we set off this morning, but with absolutely no wind, it didn't feel too bad at all. With the car park being pretty full when we arrived, it was clear that FoD folk are made of hardy dtuff.

During the day, it warmed up to a positively tropical +1 degree. We did have a light dusting of snow - very fine, powdery stuff. Looked like ash on the ground.

As expected, we did the Enduro trail - apart from not doing some bits of it and doing other bits instead. I believe it's actually very difficult to get lost in this part of the forest. If you dive down some interesting-looking trail, you almost inevitably pop up somewhere you've been before and recognise - albeit probably not instantly. Towards the end - having been somewhere neither of us recognised at all, we dived down a piece of singletrack to follow an unexpectedly serious downhill trail. I pulled up short at one point, leaving me almost dangling over a good 2 metre drop, with a runout leading to a log ride along a fallen tree. No, we didn't do those, but Nigel did take some photos to tempt Ian.

Hopefully, Nigel will post the photos and a track log of of route (my GPS sulked the whole time, refusing to pick up a signal. When we got back to the car, I switched it off and back on again - got a good signal straight away :angry 1: ).

We chose the FoD because the ground was going to be frozen, and frozen it certainly was. It gives a fantastic surface for riding without worrying about mud, ditches, etc.

All in all, a really good day. Best of all, it's only 40 mins from home.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 20:46

A great summary by Martin for a good, if somewhat chilly, ride.

It seems that the FOD is at its very best when frozen or baked dry.

It was also good to find that the bulldozers have not moved in yet.

As mentioned by Martin, we even found a new toy for Ian and Steve to play on. There's a ramp onto the tree and a little hop off at the other end. We have the location waymarked for you 8)

Sorry to disappoint about the photos, however I have sent them to Martin to see if he can upload them. I failed hoplessly. :( [MF - I attached them here]

I am not sure I agree with Martin about finding your way around the FOD. Every time I have been there on my own, I have become hopelessly lost (even with an OS map). :oops:

It is good to see how many Nomads have logged on this year. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar