Spring Ride 28th & 1st

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Spring Ride 28th & 1st

Post by NigelP »

Balmy weather, no snow and March hares

Anyone coming out to play?
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Hi Nigel,
at the moment, it seems 'life' is getting in the way of biking (and windsurfing). We are away tomorrow, and I have lots of decorating to complete, which will account for Sunday. I hope to get some time off for good behaviour before too long!
Have a good ride.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Al

Happy New Year :!: I still have a DVD for you, when we meet on the trail

Domestic bliss, by the sounds of it :wink:

Nigel
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Unable to play as van just failed its MOT and still not got my wheel fixed.

Will be doing a road ride tomorrow instead.

Adrian
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

I'm up for a ride tomorrow, whilst Ian is away for the day (I'm sure he won't be jealous, much) :D

Both of us are available Sunday.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I have spoken to Martin and we are thinking of venturing out to the Forrest of Dean on Sunday

Hopefully it will be fairly dry

If there is interest we suggest arriving at the Cycle Centre at about 10.30 'ish
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Sunday sounds good.

Still up for a ride on Saturday if anyone is interested.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Wonderful ride, great company :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian, Neroli, Martin and I trundled around the Forest of Dean

The weather was positively balmy. Sunny, dry and T shirts and shorts were seen everywhere (except on me). The car park was overflowing, although we saw very few people on the trails.

We started on the Enduro course, with Martin acting as guide. If the forestry commission had not added a couple of challenges by felling the course, Martin would have achieved full marks. As it was, Ian came to the rescue by leading some ‘off piste’ riding over the off cuts until we could pick up the route again. The damage to the area is not too extensive at the moment, although it is difficult to know how much more felling is planned.

We had a long wait for lunch, while each order was individually prepared. Then, afterwards we had a little play on the downhill course, which I particularly enjoyed. Apologies to all concerned, that the batteries packed up in the camera.

Aside from one personally embarrassing ‘alto’ moment on a roll off :oops: , there weren't any comedy falls to report. This 'hit and run' was followed by lots of advice on the benefits of lowering your saddle and an offer of some first aid from Martin, which I passed on. I was very glad Paul was not there with his spray either. Neroli did not seem to be ‘at one’ with her drive chain, which had a different view of how difficult the climbs should be.

I am chuffed that when we did the ride in January, I was happy to quit after completing the Enduro course (although at the time, the water was freezing in my Camelback). This time, I added the downhill rides as well, so there are signs that I am slowly recovering a little fitness. However, I was not quite back to September’s fitness when we added the Fodca trail and a few more downhill runs to the day's ride.

It was a really wonderful day :D
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I would echo Nigel's comments about the great weather (finally) to ride in and very DRY trails - only enountered 2 brief sections of mud.

Unfortunately I have to confess that Nigel kindly decided to spare my blushes. As the FODCA trail ends and returns onto the firetrack, there is a large rock that the path splits and goes either side off. Alas I was still enjoying the technical parts of the trail, so decided to try and ride over the rock rather than round it.

All went well until I started the maneouvre, I lifted my front wheel on cue but not as high as required and managed to catch it just below the edge of the lip of the rock. You can probably guess the rest of the story - the bike stopped in its tracks but I still had a fair bit of momentum. Thankfully I managed to tumble forwards and sideways, so landed in the puddle next to the rock rather than on it and only pride was damaged. :oops:

Think the last time Neroli and I went to the Forrest of Dean was 2 summers ago, so great to be back again. I don't think the little downhill sections in the woods existed last time, so it was really great to do them. Nice flowing sections and a very pleasant change to find that the jumps were well within our capabilities rather than 8ft monster gap jumps. As always though, you do have to check first though because there were some significantly bigger jumps that didn't look so tempting.
If found, please return to the pub.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Sounds good and a shame I missed it :( but I was away for the weekend in sunny(ish) Spain. :) I'm now well overdue for a decent ride in the Forest.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Mat

I am keen to return for more, as we may have identified a couple of 'new' DH runs. They are marked on an old Forestry map, so we are not sure if they still exist.

Unfortunately though, we are missing two key assets. Firstly, Martin is away snow skiing and at the moment he is the only one who can successfully navigate around the Enduro course i.e. when the signal from the GPS fails. Secondly, it has rained recently. The FoD is marvellous in dry periods but quickly turns into a mudbath at other times.

Ian has also suggested a return to Wentwood, which imho is also weather dependent.

Ni