Sunday 8th Afan

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Sunday 8th Afan

Post by Adrian »

Bike radar have a demo day at Afan on Sunday. I have booked to start at 10.15 on a Bionicon followed by another Bionicon , a Nomad and then a Zesty.

I may go by Bike if my van is not back on the road in time after Friday nights brake failure.

If I have the van back and the bits I need for my bike I may be doing the Newbury ride on Saturday.

Adrian
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Hi Adrian

I might be up for the Newbury ride , I should stay a bit more local than Afan unfortunately as I'm on duty ! :( Can I help with transport ?

Paul

PS Snow was really good in the 3 valleys best they've had for ages if anyone fancies a last minute trip :wink:
Onwards and upwards
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Unfortunately we are only free tomorrow morning, so will be trying to squeeze in a local 2 hour ride from home.

Hope you enjoy the new toys... :D
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Hi

The new plan is to ride on the Ridgeway from Adrians at about 9.30 am.

Paul
Onwards and upwards
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Adrian and I had a very gentle ride ( or at least Adrian did ) around the ridgeway and ajoining bridleways. Having reset the Satmap I was impressed to see we covered 184 miles and climbed 22,000 feet. :shock: I think I need to read it's manual :oops:

Ground was a bit soggy in parts but mainly OK weather warm except on the exposed ridges
We took the Scott Scale and The Specialized FSR as Adrians whell is still in hospital and found the Scott is lighter and climbs better but much more uncomfortable to ride :wink:
Onwards and upwards
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Very uncharicteristically Paul looked like he had done the mileage his Satmap was saying - as I saw him reset the device I am claiming one hell of a ride :twisted:

Sunday saw a nice start to the day with me setting out to Afan on the Motorbike which is 2 hours from home with a fuel stop. Good weather until I left the M4 when heavy rain started which combined with a diesel slick made the best part of the journey a chore. On arrival the wind was howling, it was freezing cold and the rain horizontal. I set of on my first demo ride wearing more clothing than any point this winter :cry: Shortly up the climb it was apparent that I was way to hot but getting wet anyway :cry: The Bionicon Suppershuttle climbed better than anticipted with 6.3inces of travel at the back but descended no better than my old Enduro. In fairness it was up the the first gate on Whytes climb then back down the Skyline descent in 45 mins each demo so as there is nothing difficult on that final section apart from one small section of 3 steps it is hard to judge a big hitting bike but I did not get that buying feeling. I had gone for a shedule of 4 bikes so one session on the trail then a 45 minute break. It was soo cold in the break when you came back outside. My 2nd bike was another Bionicon the Edison 150mm front and back. Instantly much nicer than the Supershuttle and the hands thawed at the end of the climb :lol: Same kit as before but not too hot.......Climbed and descended well and definitely a nice bike but really not better than the Enduro so why change :?: Cafe was packed so only just got lunch in my 45 minute break. A guy from Trek was sat with me and reckone their best reviews were coming from the Fisher Roscoe. Third bike for me was a Nomad which I was a bit doubtful about. However it was the best bike of the day up the climb immediatly feeling 'right' - even though it was 3rd climb it made me attack every sectio that flattens out. It had Rock Shox front and back with a Lyric 2 step up front which was perfect up hill. The descent was magic with it being the only bike of the day that gave total confidence and let me attack everthing. I really would like to try this bike on something difficult :twisted: My final outing was on a Lapierre Spicy which had been withdrawn due to knackered brakes but the guys went to get hot drinks and the replacement did not realise :???: I sussed it as soon as i did a quick check but as my booked bike was broke headed out any way. As the last climb it was starting to hurt but it was clearly not the bikes fault but again it did not seem to have quite as much grip as the Nomad. On the descent I had to remember that I wa son a bike with both brake levers coming back to the bar :oops: but luckily there is not much braking on the botton section of Skyline so as I was now too tired to pedal only a small occasional adjustment was required. Lucky really as when I did try to stop suddenly in the car park it didn't :wink: Felt good overall but no where near as competent as the Nomad which wwas the only bike that got the credit card twitching :lol: By the last ride the weather had improved dramatically to cold but sunny and best of all dry. With the wind the road had dried so after changing into dry clothes, ordinaty socks as mu seal skins had drowned on ride 1..... a quick cup of tea then :x :x :x hail, sleet, ice on the seat and time to set off home. The M4 was almost unrideable as the conditions were so bad I could not see my speedo or the car in front :cry: - with windscreen wipers it was probably only poor conditions. I had to stop at Cardiff Gate to thaw out as my boots were more like swimming pools than protective footwear :cry: 2.5 hours later home was very welcome. Got the van back on the road today :P Sadly I suspect I might have rode over anyway :roll: Completely cream crackered today :!:

Adrian
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Blimey Adrian, that sounds like an epic day out. Glad you didn't get hypothermia ....or crash..... or drown...... :D
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Matt

All I can say is that it seemed like a good idea at the time.....

Adrian
dro
surf god
surf god

treatment

Post by dro »

sad case Adrian , my recommendation would be large quantities of alcohol
to be taken regularly.
Probably too late but last post saloon time.
No man should force himself to suffer like that in this supposedly civilised society.

I have a red deck chair available if all else fails (very reasonable rate)

Yours warmly and slightly relieved (thank God it's not me)

Lord Timid
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?