Demo Day at Afan

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Demo Day at Afan

Post by Adrian »

Had a couple of Lapierres booked fore the Demo day at Afan on the Penhydd trail. Took the Motorbike over and tested a Spicy 516 which climed incredibly well for a 160 bike up the fire road. Very pleasant but not inspiring. Next up was a Zesty 714 which flew up the climb as apparently it only weighs 25lbs :lol: Felt so responsive everywere and the acceleration was amazing. It did manage to put me upside down on my head again for the second time in my last 3 outings on Penhydd but only because it encouraged me to try more than i am capable of :twisted:

1 hour 10 minutes on first circuit and 1 hour 15 on second including a bit of repair work to the bike that required assistance from another rider :oops: Pleased with the time as they give you 1hr 30 and miss out Hidden valley but as that is a favourite I rode it both times :P Legs knew all about it later though :cry:

Good ride and although it was wet and slippery on the trail it was a dry ride there and back :lol:

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Martin and I decided on a last minute visit to the FoD. I was a little nervous as it had rained fairly heavily on Saturday, but aside from a few small damp patches the trail was dry. Sounds better than Penhydd or it was until I took Martin on a detour through a bog at the end of the ride, just to show him that mud can stick to carbon. :oops: It was all in a good cause though, as we could see some more unexplored trails just behind the car park.

The weather was pleasant, warm and sunny until the wind and cloud took the edge off things. We just had to pick our moment for a banana break.

The bad news is that the foresters have been at work again, which has put another dent into the unofficial Enduro trail. We spent some time trail building, by clearing the debris away on one of the sections. Later, on another trail, we made good progress on reinstating the track but we were overwhelmed by the scale of the task. So, we might be looking for volunteers next time around.

On the other hand, we discovered a great single track connection that cuts out the fire road and joins up with the more technically challenging, final downhill run. We tried this out for the first time and discovered an interesting drop off with a tight pedal clipping entry, an impossible switch back going up and around a tree, followed by an intimidating drop off into a canyon. I took a different route down the final section, although after some contemplation Martin made it look straightforward. As always, it looks easy from the bottom.

Martin did a great job by making sure that we did not get lost

Another good day in the saddle. :D :D :D

Stats: 11.7 mi, 2400 ft ascended
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar