Afan's Skyline - Sun 13th June

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Afan's Skyline - Sun 13th June

Post by MartinF »

Nigel & I are planning to do Skyline. Forecast is warm is sunny.

If you'd like to join us, you're most most welcome. We hope to be at Glyncorrwg by about 10:00. Let me know if you're coming so we can meet up. Tel: oh seven 8 one three six oh 4 two 4 eight.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

A great ride, although I am feeling my age this morning. :( The stats were 28.5m and 3,873 ft ascended. The Forestry people kept wanting to send us on diversions, which we generally ignored. They seemed unnecessary and we would have missed out on some great single tracks. They did, however, manage to send us on one extra loop on the fire road, which added a little to the distance travelled.

The last time I have a record of completing the full Skyline was back in June 2006. It took about 5hr 47m then, so getting around in just under 5 hrs this time (with a lunch stop), was definitely faster :D . (But not quite as fast as Adrian and Nerolli's 4hr 30m, on the occasion when I got lost).

I carried my body armour all the way in my back pack, just to wear it on the final descent. Inevitably, the only injury I picked up (a bashed ankle) was when I was not wearing it. Sod's law.

Not many dabs on the way up, which was pleasing. However, I (again) failed to clear a set of about 4/6 stepping stones on the last section. That little piece looks altogether more intimidating than it used to and it certainly required more commitment than I had after a long ride.

Out of the wind the weather was very hot and I consumed a good 3l of water. In the wind, it was very chilly.

Thanks again Martin, for your good company and for driving while I dozed on the way home. :oops:
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar