Sunday 7th

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Sunday 7th

Post by Adrian »

Looks like they do not open until 10.00 so will post for tomorrow as soon as I can

Adrian
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Sorry Guys - will now be hoping to ride Brechfa as going to Carmarthen this afternoon so might as well stay over

Adrian
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Eh, are you talking to yourself again Adrian? :D
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Matt

As Adrian has abandoned us are you up for a ride?

Nigel
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Maybe, I'd been thinking of going out locally anyway. What's your plan?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Royal William, Cranham - 10:30. Looking to do Cranham Woods

Looks like Matt, Nigel & Myself. Anyone else?

oh seven 8 one 3 six oh 4 2 four 8
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

done this ! and added a few km extra onto it ...

Image :twisted: :evil:
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Matt guided us around Cranham Woods, including a welcome pub break, which I am sure was less stressful than Kelvin's excursion.

My GPS showed 9 miles and 1,800 ft ascended. A map is attached. There were some great single track sections.

I attached a set of new cleats to my shoes before the ride and I anticipated a few problems, as Crank brother require ‘positive action’ when new. As a result there was one comedy fall at the top of a sharp climb, when I could not get out in time and another after a drop off. This time I could not clip in, so I went over a sharp roll off in a precarious position. The roll off was fine, the two double dips - which I had not seen - were not. So, my body count for the day was two.

Matt caught his bar extensions on the wrong side of a sapling, but I was not there to see the outcome. (At the time I was probably lying down to unclip).

It was an enjoyable ride: the sun shone but the air temperature was freezing (about 1 deg). The frozen tyre ruts added a new level of unpredictability to my riding. And this was just after I had just adjusted to the sloppy stuff. Ho Hum.

Thanks Matt. It was a good ride, topped off by a couple of great pints in the King William :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NigelP on Mon Mar 08, 2010 18:48, edited 5 times in total.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

1800 ft of climbing :lol:

As I was in Carmarthen I went to Brechfa and did the raven in the morning with 725metres of climbing :twisted: finished by 11.00 so early snack then rode down to the Gorlech - 3.5 miles by rode thought it was about 2 :???: then did the Gorlech 1071metres of climbing before a return rode ride to the van All finished before 3 pm - Trail condition superb but 33 miles in total and circa 1800 metres meant that even driving home was hard :twisted:

Hope to repeat in 2 weekends time

By comparison a similar ride on the Ridgeway from Cheivley to Home of 30 miles on the long route would be about 300 mtres of climbing

Adrian
dro
surf god
surf god

wow

Post by dro »

I can just manage one or the other but to do both without even the short connecting road on top is rather !!!!!!!!!
Well Done

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

The Kel killer route was ? god knows, up the garth was 1080 ft on its own - distance ? 45km or more - time taken just short of 7hrs :lol: but the guys where flaging the last 10km's .
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

a few pics - top of garth mountain dead centre in the background is castle coch .

returning back view overlooking cardiff

kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

My stats were just under 20 miles total and about another 700ft of climbing cos I rode up to the rendezvous. :D

Great to have some company on the trails for a change. I didn't see Nigels body dabs though as I was in front at the time trying to avoid the saplings. Luckily the one that got me was at low speed so I stayed on, just about.