Afan - Easter Sun

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell » Mon Mar 28, 2005 15:51

Well its official, there is definitely something wrong with my forks - the men from Mud Dock said so, three of them no less (all comments about damsels in distress will be treated with the contempt that they deserve :lol: )

They have kept the bike in for observation :( . Apparently, it is definitely a warranty issue :D so the forks will be sent back to Trek for treatment or if terminal, replacement. I hope it doesn't take too long :cry: :cry: .

Think I'll just put the seat down on Steve's and have a little play!! Not too sure about his pedals tho' or the dodgy gear change :roll:
Viv

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long » Mon Mar 28, 2005 17:55

Just returned from a very pleasant saunter round Al's local patch - his usual circuit round Brockley Combe etc and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it suprisingly bog free compared to Black Down on Friday.

Neroli and I went for a (long) walk to the pub at lunchtime and that plus the lubrication :lol: seems to have got rid of any tiredness in the legs (although I did hear a few grumbles from the engine room during the long road climbs).

A few of the descents on Al's ride are quite hairy, particularly the final one which is without a doubt the best part of the circuit.

Thanks Al for a lovely ride to end the Bank Holiday weekend. 8)
Last edited by Ian Long on Mon Mar 28, 2005 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
If found, please return to the pub.

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Duff Presta valve.

Post by MartinF » Mon Mar 28, 2005 17:56

Interestingly, the valve tip & nut broke off my front tyre valve yesterday whilst doing it up after pumping air into the tyre. I'm not that strong, so it must have been a faulty valve. It just came off in my hands, gov. See pics.

I thought I was stuck with present (high) level of inflation until next puncture as I'd not be able to release air from the valve, but I found that sticking a screwdriver tip or similar to depress the remaining valve stem works ok - like a Schrader valve.

I *think* these were cheapy tubes from my local bike shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long » Mon Mar 28, 2005 20:11

Its very easy to bend the thread coming out of the valve while trying to force a pump onto it in a hurry. I've never heard of anyone snapping one off before. Martin "Arnie" Farrimond :lol:
If found, please return to the pub.

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald » Mon Mar 28, 2005 20:20

Second trip round Brockley etc in two days, and as Ian says, an excellent end to the holiday weekend. I even managed to "clean" the final descent this time - and cleated in too 8) The key seems to getting the speed just right and a "go for it attitude"!

ps. any thoughts on the full-sus bike you tried Nigel?

NigelP
surf god
surf god

A full sus review

Post by NigelP » Thu Mar 31, 2005 17:07

Had a great ride around the Wall with Martin. See elsewhere for Arnie impressions.

Lovely bike, just a pity my dreams are greater than my wallet.

Back to a clunky hard tail this weekend. Anyone else up for a ride this weekend?

Off to the Bike show tomorrow to be seduced by all the goodies

Will be looking for posting tomorrow night

Nigel