Weekend 14/15th

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Weekend 14/15th

Post by Adrian »

Anyone any plans for this weekend?

I am considering a jaunt up to Cannock Chase for Spot the Dog although no firm plans yet so mind could be changed.

Adrian
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Hi Adrian,

Sorry can't do this weekend as we're up in Sheffield visiting friends, so will be riding in the Peak District :D

Hoping to check out Cannock Chase at some point though - hope you have a good weekend of riding 8)

V
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Adrian, it's a club event to Portland this Sunday so if there's wind I expect most of us will want to go.
I expect the biking season will start soon (not used my bike since July!), but while there's wind and warmth it seems a shame to waste it.
OTOH, if no wind, it could be an option... watch this space.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

We will be keeping our options open - I am more than willing to do a day trip to Cannock if necessary - the riding is well worth it :D
If found, please return to the pub.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Would like to join you at Cannock chase. on Saturday. When and where ?

Steve & Viv
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Will look up exact loaction and post by lunchtime ( I can drive there!)

It is close to Boardwise the big windsurf shop if you want to go there first.

Approx location is Cannock just north of Birmingham J11 M6 I think.

Do you havea preferred start time?

Adrian
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Meeting Point will be the Birches Valley Visitor Centre (Forest centre and home of Swinnerton Cycles)

Directions:
M6 J11 or M6 Toll
A460 through Cannock signed Hendesford into Rugeley
At main roundabout in Rugeley turn left onto Western Springs road
Turn left next traffic lights onto Hagley road
Past Chase pub and Fair Oak School
into edge of forest as road dips take left signed to forest centre on to Birches valley road - next left is the centre

http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/index.htm

Adrian
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I don't have any start time constraints, but like Steve need to find the appropriate compromise between starting early enough to enable enough cycling to justify the long journey as a day trip, but not so early that I get in trouble for not allowing my dear wife a lie in. :???:

I am guesssing somewhere around the 10:30 - 11:00 region but am open to other suggestions.
If found, please return to the pub.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

That should work finre if Steve & Viv are okay - gives time to visit Boardwise on way up if any one is interested.

Adrian
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Fine with us. We hope to get away just after 8am. We will keep in contact with texts on the way up.
PFTP.
V & S
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Sorry to miss Cannock, it is one of those locations I am looking forward to visiting. All I know about the place is it is good for hiding dead bodies.
(Not mountain bikers...I assume :) )

I am otherwise engaged Daymer Bay. Hope to join you on the trail the following weekend

Enjoy

Nigel
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I'm quite tempted to make the trip as it's 'quite close' for me, but I'll decide tomorrow.... early!
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Six of us made it up to Cannock Chase and it was well worth the trip. We had two great rides :D :D - tho I have to admit I was a little surprised when we did a longer ride in the afternoon :shock: (7.7 miles to "follow the dog" in the morning and 14.7 to "follow Adrian" in the afternoon). Maybe it was because we got a bit lost to start with - Adrian as guide! Nuff said :wink: .

There is a range of riding and some lovely bits of singletrack - I'm pleased to say my favourite bit was done twice - near the end of both rides.

Track logs for each and a map showing both are below - "Follow the Dog" in red and "Follow Adrian" (including "lost" bits) in blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viv