Fancy venturing to the darkside on Sunday....

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

RaV
surf god
surf god

Fancy venturing to the darkside on Sunday....

Post by RaV »

... no not the scary Kona Darkside northshore trail, but the dark side of biking - road biking! :shock:
Having got caked in mud the last two weekends whilst out mtbing and having to hose my clothes down before they went in the washing machine, plus I'm wanting to get fitter, I have bought a road bike and am looking to go out on Sunday for a spin.
Can we tempt anyone else to join us?

Plan is to do about a 40 mile route from our house and stop at a pub along the way, plus post-ride tea and cakes :D

Aiming for a 11am start - post or give me a buzz if you'd like to come along.

V
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Road biking?? :twisted:
Actually I'm almost tempted, however my only 'road' bike is my old steel frame hardtail with a very uncomfortable saddle. I could swap saddles over, or even use the susser but I'd need to swap tyres over and it has no big ring. Either way I think I'd hold you up too much. Thanks for the offer though.
If anyone wants to get muddy in Rowberrow, I'd be up for that.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Sorry Al, we have already agreed with Vicky to help get her new toy dirty (well may be a bit of road grime or beer spillage), so we will be out for a spin with large diameter wheels and very skiny tyres.
If found, please return to the pub.
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Excellent - see you in the morning! :D

Al - we have a spare road bike and a commute bike if you want to borrow one of those?
The road bike is a classic Raleigh steel frame with 12 speed index gears and the commute bike is like an mtb with 24 gears.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Thanks very much for the offer Vicky. TBH I have a few jobs around the house/car I want to get done today so I'll give it a miss, thanks anyway. Have a good ride - don't be tempted onto any singletrack now will you! Those skinny tyres just won't take it!
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Al, I am very tempted but I am still signed off with a wonky leg.

Hope to be back in action next weekend.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Four of us took to the darkside today - Rob, myself and Ian & Neroli set out on our road bikes for a 40ish mile loop. Thankfully we had a print out of the route as technology let us down as Rob's GPS failed just the other side of Melksham!
We managed fairly well to keep to the route, apart from realising we had gone wrong at the bottom of a hill and had to turn round and go back up it!! :shock:
I really enjoyed myself but was hanging on at the end and when I saw the sign saying 1/4 to the Barge Inn pub, I suddenly had a burst of energy knowing that we were stopping there and it was only 5 mins back from there to home. The beer and peanuts and nice warm fire were a winner!! :D
My new bike isn't looking as shiney anymore now though :( but it had a good first trip out :D
Cheers for a good ride!