Quantocks on Good Friday?

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

RaV
surf god
surf god

Quantocks on Good Friday?

Post by RaV »

Anyone fancy joing us for a ride on the Quantocks on Friday?

Meet 10.30am for an 11am start at the carpark in Holford near Stella's tearoom - hopefully it will be open for post ride refreshment :D

Let us know if you're joining us.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli and I hope to be joining you - unless some unforecast wind suddenly materialises.

Can we bring our Easter eggs?
If found, please return to the pub.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Viv and I intend to be there and I promise not to look down while you're in front : :oops:
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

In theory I'd like to join you. However I'm doing a circa 35mile road ride tomorrow (Thur)... on my full suss!!! to go to pick up my car. I'll see what state I'm in by the morning. Hope to see some of you at the social anyway.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I thought the Quantocks were good on any day, not just Fridays :lol:

I look forward to joining you.

The ride is just in time. One day later and I would have been a full year older. After last weekends ride I now realise Rob is a few days younger than me (give or take a couple of decades :oops: )

Adrian, are you riding?
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I dont fancy queing all down the M5 followed by the Minehead road on Good Friday morning. if i ride it will be local. If you ride on sunday I might come down.

Adrian
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Had a great day today on bone dry and dusty trails in the sunshine :D looking forward to tomorrow!

Hopefully most people will have travelled Thursday evening for the weekend, so the traffic shouldn't be to bad.

We're back home Friday night, as I have to work Saturday.
We're planning to ride on Monday though, but not sure where yet.

See you tomorrow 8)
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I would be up for a ride in the Mendips on Monday or Wiltshire

Adrian
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Bloody motorway !
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Had a great - if not tiring ride round the Quantocks - many thanks RaV.

Highlights of the day were probably the cream tea :-), the trip down into Smith's coombe and Rob's clean ascent out of Smith's coombe.

Some interesting bits I haven't been down before - Barney trail, so called coz its full of rubble.

Thanks all.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

And I completely forgot - Nigel's exploding tyre.

During the ride it looked as though Nigel had lost a few spokes as his back wheel was out of true. However an examination on the trail revealed that the problem wasn't his rim, it was the tyre beginning to bulge where it rubbed against the rim.

Nigel took the view that the tyre was still ridable but continued at a more restrained pace. His confidence was justified as the tyre made it all the way back and survived the trip to Stella's tea room.

However about five minutes after he put his bike into the back of the car, there was an almighty bang from inside the car. We all looked at the back of his car to see a small cloud of smoke dispersing. His tyre had finally burst :shock:. That was the end of the replacement tyre for the one that burst in the same manner during Steve's 50th last year.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Wonderful company, awesome weather and great ride. Definitely a triple :D :D :D day.

As Ian has mentioned, I used up another of my lives on the back tyre. After the ride I also discovered that one of the screws holding the rear hanger was missing. All this probable explains why I came home safely and then promptly sprained an ankle while walking in the garden :!: Nature balancing itself out.

Neroli missed out on the comedy falls the previous weekend and had a little go at making up for the lost opportunity.

Just when I was trying avoid spending money, buying opportunities seem to be arriving in droves (new tyre, spokes, bottom bearing replacement, Hope brake seals, chainrings, pump etc) Windsurfing is 'o' so much cheaper.

On the plus side I felt far more comfortable on my bike than the previous weekend. A change of saddle and rebound adjust worked wonders. Also diluting my porridge breakfast reduced that feeling of it sitting there, as low level ballast. Far, far more enjoyable.

Steve and Viv have mentioned the queue, following the accident on the motorway. I came off at the services and just hope that a fine for £50 does not arrive in the post. :oops:

The Fugawi file is attached, which shows less climbing than on previous visits to the Quantocks: just 13.8 miles and just two big hills.

Special thanks to Rob and Vicky for having checked out the route the previous day.

What a wonderful day: it could almost have been in July. :D
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

NigelP wrote: The Fugawi file is attached, which shows less climbing than on previous visits to the Quantocks: just 13.8 miles and just two big hills.
Can't see it ....... did I miss it or you?

Would be nice to see where we didn't go. Though the day improved dramatically after we finally got off the motorway. Short ride up big hill in beautiful sunshine to look down onto a completely freeflowing motorway ...... hmmm. Rounded off with a bit of retail therapy and the pub in the sunshine, really quite civilised.
Viv
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Ian, Neroli

Can you email/PM me with your address please.

I hope to be able to make it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Carl
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Viv

Apologies for my incompetence.

I might be dangerous if I had a brain.

The Fugawi file is now attached (and I can send in Garmin format if you prefer)

Ni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.