Good news and bad news

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Good news and bad news

Post by spinout »

Went for a shortish ride this morning. Northstoke and back to test the new forks (Rock Shox Rebas). Verdict so far - pretty much perfect the type of riding I do. Maybe not quite as stiff as the old Marzocchi's but half the weight and the adjustable travel really works well. Still to see how it takes the really big hits but so far so good. Air springs (+ve and -ve provide lots of adjutability). Still to experiment with the 'floodgate'.

Bad news is I tried to lower my seatpost and after 30 minutes wondering why it wouldn't go down I discovered it was bent at the clamp area.

NB Martin - if you are still looking, Merlin Cycles are doing great deals on RS Forx at the moment with an extra 10% off web orders. Would definitely recomend the 'U-Turn' travel adjust. Other than that main difference between the models is a little bit of weight and the cheapest model doesn't have external floodgate adjuster.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Bent seat post? I wanted to be cruel at this point and say "FB", but Neroli won't let me :lol:, so instead, I'll ask "How on earth did that happen?"
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: Good news and bad news

Post by MartinF »

spinout wrote:NB Martin - if you are still looking, Merlin Cycles are doing great deals on RS Forx at the moment with an extra 10% off web orders. Would definitely recomend the 'U-Turn' travel adjust. Other than that main difference between the models is a little bit of weight and the cheapest model doesn't have external floodgate adjuster.
Thanks Carl.

I still find the vast array of forks/types of forks/gizmos on forks & the terminology pretty impenetrable, so anything that makes it easily understandable would be a good thing - albeit improbable :wink:. It sounds like an external floodgate adjuster might be something you'd find on a reservoir dam or the Thames Barrier.

I'm expecting to be in the US sometime in the next few weeks, so may see what I can pick up over there - esp with the $ being so low against the £.

Mind you, I'm not sure how I'd get a pair of forks in a suitcase! May have to see if I can get the company to ship them over.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Ian Long wrote:Bent seat post? I wanted to be cruel at this point and say "FB", but Neroli won't let me :lol:, so instead, I'll ask "How on earth did that happen?"
Thanks to Neroli for protecting my feelings but unfortunately I think you are right Ian. Well, that and a cheapish seatpost :-)