SPD Clips

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

SPD Clips

Post by NigelP »

Does anyone have a set of Shimano SPD Clips type 55 (for beginners) that they would be willing to sell/lend/exchange for type 51's.

Most grateful

Nigel
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Re: SPD Clips

Post by Viv Powell »

NigelP wrote:Does anyone have a set of Shimano SPD Clips type 55 (for beginners) that they would be willing to sell/lend/exchange for type 51's.
Er no, but I do have two sets of type 51!! a pair with each pair of pedals. I bought some 55's for £10 at John's Bikes.
Viv
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: SPD Clips

Post by MartinF »

NigelP wrote:Does anyone have a set of Shimano SPD Clips type 55 (for beginners)
I'm not sure I would say they're for beginners; they're just different from the 51's in that you can also release them by lifting the heel rather than just swivelling the heel.

They're also available from Chain Reaction (link here), and I'm sure Andy @ Chain Life in Thornbury could get them for you, too.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Thanks Martin and Viv. I have ordered the clips from Chain reaction along with some armor plating. I have managed my first few yards and a fall already.

I assume the clips I have (51's) attach with the narrow end nearest the toe of the shoe? It seemed to work.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Sounds like I am too late, however I have a spare pair if you need them.

What type of armour plating did you go for?

On Sunday I was very impressed with Al's ability to predict the future - when we set off on our Ridgeway ride, he decided to only put on his arm pads. Sure enough, early on in the ride he has a minor fall and catches his arm pads perfectly :D. How did he know he wasn't going to need the leg pads? :? May be he should have bought a lottery ticket before setting out.....
If found, please return to the pub.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Thanks for the offer Ian, however the order is in now.

I have chosen the same arm protection as you, Brand X, but different leg protection, Roach Indi Leg. I found the brand X rubbed my delicate knees, but I wait to see if this other design is any better.

Based on my limited experience the best solution seems to be to pick a patch of soft grass (or in Al's case land on a bed of moss between the boulders). Failing that, the padding and easy exit clips may help.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Yes, lucky wasn't it! Although I did get a slight bruise on my lower back in that tumble. At my current rate of falling off it won't be long before I need a pressure suit and full face helmet!!
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

In my blissful ignorance I put the mid air pirouette, with bike attached, down to skill.

However, I was quick to realise that the main benefit of the Camelback is to provide a soft landing; especially the soft Mars bar. This was followed shortly by the acquisition of a first aid kit after seeing Nerolli's show stopping loop, which totally overshot the Camelback landing zone. This was the full forward without pirouette. I am hoping the addition of arm and leg protection will make the targeting easier for a newbie.

A friend has just bruised a few ribs after a catapult on his board, so I guess its wet weather armor plating next. Ooops, sorry Martin, wrong forum.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I find a Malt loaf far better than a Mars bar. It has a larger area, provides better deceleration characteristics and has the advantage that it looks and tastes exactly the same after someone has landed on it :lol:.

Neroli and I tried our legs pads without 3/4 length shorts protecting the back of our knees for the first time on Sunday. Both of us found they were prone to pinching and were getting sore by the end of the ride. I guess we will have to pay more attention to strap positioning next time.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

The leggings arrived today. If nothing else my legs are are set up for a career in martial arts.

Is all this strap adjusting a special aide for newly weds?
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Is all this strap adjusting a special aide for newly weds?
Probably - if you want further details, may be I'd better send them offline :lol:, photos come at a price.