Tyres

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Tyres

Post by Ian Long »

It is time to replace Neroli's tyres and have another go at replacing the rear tyre on my bike (I split the previous new tyre on its third outing :cry: )

Chain Reaction have a bewildering selection - Any suggestions for what tyres we should buy in preparation for the delights of the winter mud?
If found, please return to the pub.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I run Continental Vertical as good all round tyres. probably not the best in mud or dry but according to the mags one of the best compromises.

I am running a UST Conti on the back with only 35psi which has been giving loads of grip - hence claeaning Cwn Carn & the forest. I ran them back & front non UST on the orange and the clear reasonably well.

I did loads of research but its always a compromise unless you carry 2 sets

Adrian
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Far too lazy to change my tyres let alone Neroli's as well :-)OO , so am certainly looking for a compromise.

I'll check the small print to see if there are any guarantees about been able to clear Cwm Carn before deciding. Thanks.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

The response I got to the same question posted to the Bigfoot email list was a resounding - Conti Vertical Pro's.

I have the Conti Gravity ProTections, but don't have the experience to be able to determine how good they are, but I've been told they're not the best on wet, rocky, rooty stuff (what is?). I bought them 'cos the Conti website described them as more of an all round tyre than the Verticals.
Last edited by MartinF on Sun Sep 04, 2005 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Panaracer Trailrakers also get well recommended for muddy conditions. I'm considering getting some for the winter.

ps. The latest edition of What Mountain Bike has its annual awards, and the Trailraker was voted the best winter tyre, with the Maxxis High Roller getting best all round tyre.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

I _think_ i have a spare conti vertical (non-pro = wire bead), or maybe it's a gravity.

It's only cheap and hasd been used a bit so you can have it for nowt if you're interested.

Carl