SPDs

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

SPDs

Post by MartinF »

I finally bit the bullet & went out & bought myself a pair of SPD pedals (single-sided) for the HooKooEKoo, and shoes.

Immediate reaction is that pedalling is much more efficient. I seem to be able to get more power out of pedalling for the same effort.

Need to try it out on a proper off-road trail & see what happens when I fall off.

Any bets as to twisted/sprained knees/ankles...
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

When you first start with them, your knees and ankles are fine - they never get to hit the ground because they are still firmly attaced to the bike :D It is the hips and arms / wrists that take the battering.

Well worth getting used to - tricky descents (let alone climbs) are sooo much easier when you have full control over the bike.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Ok, here's an update now, after using SPD's for a couple of months...

Could I live without them - probably not anymore. I just find they're so much better than being without. Feet don't get shaken off the pedals, don't get knocked off (as often), pedalling is more efficient - power on the upstroke as well as the downstroke.

BUT... up until today, I've had them set too tight (I realise now!), causing much bruising of hips, shoulders, arms, hands, etc, caused by not being able to unclip whilst falling.

My advice for anyone starting out with them - set them very loose at first. I mean VERY loose. So that your feet are only just clipped on. Gradually tighten them from there but ensure you can always pull your feet out in an emergency.