New bike (frame)

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Final build roster...
  • Fork: RockShox Revelations Air U-Turn 90-130mm
  • Crankset: FSA Afterburner (poss temp until new XTR sets available & field tested & evaluated!)
  • shifters: SRAM X.9
  • Font mech: Shimano E-type XT
  • Rear Mech: SRAM X.9
  • Brakes: SRAM Avid Juicy 7 185/160
  • Scott seatpost, FSA 9 alloy headset, carbon steerer spacers & shock remote control all provided with frame.
Will use wheels, pedals, bars & stem from my old bike for now.

All I have to do now is wait for all the bits to arrive & then build the thing. :???:
Last edited by MartinF on Mon Aug 14, 2006 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Sound good - just got out the MBR tests the MC20 was about 25.75lbs so should be a rocket - they recommended using a layback seat pin so I would put the saddle as far back as possible to start and see what you think - i will let you have the tests next time I see you

Adrian
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Yes - the top tube is noticably short.

On the MC20 I test rode, I seem to remember it had quite a long stem.

I'll just have to try it as is & see how it feels - uphill & down - before making more changes.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Still not quite ready yet, though it is now complete enough that I was able to have a play on it this evening for the 1st time. Still awaiting SRAM rear mech - hopefully arriving by Tue next week (I've stuck on an old LX mech for now), and I've cocked-up the cable routing of the shock & fork remote adjusters.

Am also waiting for new QR skewers as my Shimano ones with offset cams don't fit properly, new pedals, and may well need new, longer bars (for all the additional bloody bar-mounted controls) and longer, lower-rise stem.

Haven't weighed it yet, but it's a lot lighter than my hardtail!
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

How exciting - post some pics when you're done.

Just got some SRAM X9 stuff myself (s/h) good but not significantly better than the SRAM/XT setup that went before (now on Sam's bike). Cable routing is much better though.

Are you getting spds or flatties. Must say I'm reverting to SPDs, certainly for longer rides.

In my experience, stem length is quite hard (and expensive) to get right. Currently using 70mm on mine but that's a compromise between XC and hucking.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Nearly there!!

Sorted out the cable routing tonight. Managed to cram all the controls onto the bars (just). Fixed a problem with the travel lockout on the forks. Adjusted shock & fork pressures & sag. Adjusted front mech. Fitted blingy new wheel QR skewers.

Have just bought new Shimano DX M647 pedals which still need to be fitted, and am STILL waiting for the X.9 rear mech to arrive from Evans Cycles. They allegedly posted the thing on Thur last week.

On first test, stem length feels about right ( I think mine's also about 70mm). I can easily loft the front end, whilst still being able to endo easily, too. Need to see how it feels on a proper climb though.

Will be sure to take photos before it gets used in anger!!
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Wow :o
Looking forward to seeing the new creation, but how will you stop it getting dirty ? :wink:
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

am STILL waiting for the X.9 rear mech to arrive
I'm STILL waiting for my new bike. No phone call yet... :(
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Paul McCormack wrote:Wow :o
Looking forward to seeing the new creation, but how will you stop it getting dirty ? :wink:
Obviously I'm not going to be able to use it. I'll have to borrow someone else's bike to ride on. Any willing lenders?
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Your'e very welcome to borrow the red peril whilst waiting for your rear mech pro photo shoot etc as I'm going Trekking for a couple of weeks :roll:
I've fixed the front brake now !
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Paul McCormack wrote:Your'e very welcome to borrow the red peril whilst waiting for your rear mech pro photo shoot etc as I'm going Trekking for a couple of weeks :roll:
No, no. I mean permanently. I don't intend the new bike to get dirty at all :wink:
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

new bikes

Post by Al Donald »

These must be the most anticipated bikes ever! We must be due an inaugural ride for them soon. I haven't been on my mtb since July!
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

No hurry Martin. Your buying a new bike has done more for the wind at weekends than the met office ever did.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

No problems with that. I do windsurf, too!

It's now ready. Pics attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Very shiny looks nice but will it be so shiny when I get back ? Cant wait to see it in action :P