Loan of roof rack bits needed - please

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Loan of roof rack bits needed - please

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli and I are looking to try and borrow the bits to put two road bikes on the roof of an Omega estate for the half term week at the end of October.

The car has roof rails on it, so we are looking for two (wide) bars + clamps, plus two bike holders.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
N & I
If found, please return to the pub.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I've got the proper lockable bars to go an Omega estate (it's our family car), but haven't got the bike holders. You're welcome to borrow the bars for that week since we won't be needing them.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Likewise, I've got some bars for the Audi A6 which I expect would fit. However, I don't have any bike fittings.

However, I do have a boot mounted rack you could borrow that takes two bikes. It's a 'strap-on' affair and seems to work OK (providing you don't try handbrake turns) but it's a bit of a faff if you want to get into the boot.

Cheers,
Carl
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

As we discussed - I have one suitable roofbar-fitting bike rack you can use. I have another totally unsuitable, decrepit rack which you probably better not use - unless you fancy making an insurance claim?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Our rear bike rack is available - well tested!

Steve
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I can offer two possible options.

You are very welcome to borrow my trailer, with a three way bike rack. This assumes you have a tow bar.

Alternatively, we could take the bike rack part apart which would release two roof racks. However, they are a little old and wonky. I use an extra rope to steady them on the trailer and you need to use some extra padding around the clamp. Neither is an issue on the trailer, but it might be a challenge once on a roof.

Ni
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Thanks, I believe we have already been offered all the bits we need. Alas I don't have a tow bar, must have bought the only second hand Omega estate in the country without one :evil:. We are hoping to borrow bike carriers off M & P but if they don't fit Matt's bars, don't be surprised if we come knocking.

Thanks,
Ian.
If found, please return to the pub.