Mud Tyres

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Mud Tyres

Post by Paul McCormack »

Any suggestions for good tyres to use in muddy conditions which can be used for general riding too ?

Do you tend to run with lower pressures in the mud and if so how low do you go !! :P

Not that we've encoutered any of the slimy stuff recently :wink:

Paul
dro
surf god
surf god

solution

Post by dro »

EASY

:D :D :D :D Tractor tyres :D :D :D :D

Preferably attached to a tractor !!!!

Would not worry about the pressures just as long as the cab is warm and dry

Hope this is of help

Lord Timid

P.S.
Happy New Year from Timidland
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Paul, I use Panaracer Trailraker 2.1" as my winter tyres. They are very well regarded for muddy conditions and I find them very good indeed as they don't clog easily. They are also fine on other surfaces too. Pressures don't need to be especially low - I run 35psi rear and 30psi front. HTH
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I used a Singletrack Mag review of 50 tyres to help me make my choice. However, the information is now a year old.

The top choice for mud was the Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1 £30 from Bohle 01743 8744496. The comments were: "Fantastic mud tyre which actually copes better than many non-mud tyres on firmer and drier terrain as well. You pay for the adhesion with fairly fast tyre wear though".

The review of the Panaracer Trailraker was: "Much bigger volume than the skinny 1.95 version. An excellent mud tyre with aggressive tread pattern and good clearing abilities. Pretty sketchy on rocks and roots though."

I chose the best all round combination with Kenda Blue Groove on the rear and Kenda Nevagal on the front. They received the same score for mud as the dedicated mud tyres, but I suspect (from experience) they are more prone to clogging. However, they offer far better traction and control on rock and roots, and on balance I decided that I would prefer to come a cropper on mud than on rock or up a tree. :D

The article did not give any information on tyre pressures, although I run mine on the soft side.

I still have the master article, if it is of interest to anyone
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Like Al, I'm running Panaracer Trailraker 2.1" tyres.

I tend to run about 30psi front & rear. In soft stuff, compared to the Panaracer Fire Mud Pro, they're better. Compared to my Continental Gravity 2.3's, they're superb, though the Gravity is really a summer tyre.

I totally disagree with the review which stated they're sketchy on wet rocks and roots. IMHO, they hold really well. Certainly MUCH better than the Gravities.

What Mountain Bike Jan '07 has a review of mud tyres. The best of test was the Bontrager Mud X 2.0"
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

I agree, I've not noticed and sketchiness or lack of control with them on rocks, although I guess I'm not working the bike as hard as the reviewers.
Obviously the rolling resistance is higher than an all-round tyre, but for grip in mud I doubt you'll find much better.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I knew I'd seen another mud tyre review - just couldn't find it yesterday...

MBR Feb '07 has a test of 5 tyres: Panaracer Trailraker 2.1" comes top of the group with 10/10, followed by Maxxis Medusa 2.1" getting 9/10.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Having just left the bike by traveling over the front bars and landing on some very chunky roots, I would now conclude that my competence is more important than my choice of tyre. :lol:

It is interesting, though, how all the reviews differ.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll get some Panaracer 2.1 s unless it suddenly becomes hot and sunny or I can save up enough for a tractor :D
Onwards and upwards