Movin' on down

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Movin' on down

Post by MartinF »

Graham_U wrote:After last week I've sail a few smaller boards, so hope to be looking for something cheap second hand in the 120-130L range
soon.

Am I fooling myself that going down 20-30L will actually make much difference? Of those I tried the Screamer seemed to offer a different type, of board from the Techno, although the 118L was a challenge, I got on well with the 128L. Any suggestions? or is this too far in your distance past?
Yes - a 20-30l reduction from (say) 150l to 120l is a fair-sized transition. Far more so than (say) 190l to 150l. A 120l board will initially feel very unstable at rest, and very lively when it gets going. But it can be mastered pretty quickly. Today's 120l boards are so much easier to sail than those from 6 or 7 years ago.

Best suggestion would be to get along to a club away day & borrow kit off other members - or at least, ask to have a go. You're very unlikely to be turned down. That way, you'll have a chance to compare a number of different boards and see how you get on with them.

IMO - if you can get onto a new (for you) board that's smaller than anything you've sailed before, and immediately get on well with it, then it's probably not going to help you progress greatly. Step onto a board that is only just about manageble at first - albeit uncomfortable - and it may end up being a better bet. But don't get onto something like a wave board at this stage - it'll just put you off altogether :?
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Come on folks, I know most of you are way better and more experience that me, so there must be other ideas on the next step from a Techno down, assuming I'm going second hand.

I've seen a few Techno 273/125L about, relatively cheaply. But I'm not sure if I'd get much advantage, as its still a fairly wide board. Any other ideas?
Graham
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

If you're thinking of going down to 120l, then if you get the chance, try out a Fanatic Cross 120
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Well (although Kelvin will not approve) I've done it. I'm now the owner of a brand new Techno2 Small at 118L. What have I done :shock:

Got a V.Good deal from H2O in Poole so now have to go down there some time to collect it. Then who knows when it will be used, but at least I've now got something to aim for. Not sure I'd want to use the winter to get used to it, given my fear of cold water and getting cold.

Anyone got any comments about these beasts they would like to share. :?
Graham
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Graham_U wrote: Anyone got any comments about these beasts they would like to share. :?
Er Nope, but Gerry Sanders has a Techno e 113, which he seems to like. I think that it may be an earlier version of the Techno2 small, rather fetching shade of orange - would clash with my hair obviously, but a nice board none-the-less.

Gerry is registered with the forums but has yet to make a post - come on Gerry stop "lurking" and give us a response! :lol:
gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by gerrys »

:roll: Well yes - I should make an effort and post a response. I sitting in the departure lounge in Houston Airport and discovered I can connect my laptop via the wireless thingy. So you can see it works.

Yes I have a Techno 112l e medium. Very good first shortish low volume board, almost sinks..... Goes very well in a straiaght line turns pretty quickly. A good bump and jump board as Ian (Long) once said of it - and I agree.

Well - Graham I hope you enjoy your Techno2

Gerry
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Yay - well done Gerry :D

The first post of many I hope!!
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

The damn things still waiting for me in Poole, not been out in ages. My be tempted to take a day off work next week at this rate, finally looks like some wind!
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

You and the rest of the club.

You only have to look at the trips / trips & Sesssions forum to see that the last posting was on the 22nd November :cry:

None of us are going to remember how to sail the next time we step on a board. The worst part of it all is that I had several sails in close succession at the end of October (the last time I sailed) but there was also a long gap before then when I couldn't find any wind at the weekend to go sailing with either.

I know I always think I've had a bad year for wind but I think I normally get on the water twice as much as I have this year even in a bad season. Next year can only get better. The only positive I can take from this year is that most of the times I've been out, it has been on lovely small kit, none (well, very little) of this light wind pumping rubbish.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Graham_U wrote:My be tempted to take a day off work next week at this rate, finally looks like some wind!
Monday's starting to look reasonable for wind - S F4'ish in the Bristol Channle (F3'ish around Poole) according to WindGURU. BUT!!! - only 4-5°C :? Rather you than me!

Wed 22nd might be more promising. Forecast is W F5-6 & 10-11°C at Poole.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Went last Thursday when the air was a bit warmer, which was a bit of an adventure for me. See other posting. Keeping an eye on the forecasts for this week, as it could be an option.
Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Finally collected my shinny new board on Sunday. :D

It still in is wrapping, and it looks tiny sat on top of my knackered old grandpa Techno. Any tips on fitting footstraps, I'm terrified I'll over tighten the screw.

Not sure when its going to hit the water, but I definitely want it warmer than it was at the weekend. Also given how little time I've had on the water recently, not sure its a good time to lose 34 liters buoyancy.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I have never heard of anyone managing to over tighten footstraps. The hardest thing is to get them tight enough.

My tip would be - tighten them up by hand with a large screwdriver to give maximum leverage. Then leave them for 24hours plus to allow the pads under the straps to compress, then tighten them up again. Using this approach you rarely have problems with them spinning round if you aren't as precise as you should be when you try and stick your foot in.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

never tried the smaller Techno,s but have owned a few other bics though the yrs , I must be an anti-bic type type of guy because
1, the Bic Vivace I owned must go down in my books as the worst board i,ve had
2, had me a saxo wave the ones with the slipper nose , very tough but did,nt set the world alight for me .
In retrospect did have a Veloce 310 when they first came out and did like that , untill I tried the F2 295 XANTOS that was about at the same time and was in a different class.
Any way hope you get on with the new Bic.
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Interesting - a Bic Vivace 282 is the only board I have ever sailed that I can say I truely hated and couldn't wait to return to its rightful owner.