Movin' on down

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

BiC Vivace 282

Post by MartinF »

Well, I used to be the proud owner of a 282 Vivace - it was the 1st "teardrop" board I owned - from 1995 to 1997. I found it to be a really good, fast, not-too-dedicated slalom board. A bugger to gybe, but very fast in a straight line.

Let down by the fittings - it had those really silly footstrap track rails with steel screw inserts which a) rusted, b) welded to the ally footstrap tracks, and c) totally suceeded in not holding the straps in place.

I replaced this board with a Fanatic Gecko 278: a much friendlier, but slower board.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

Nice to see i,m not the only one who did,nt relish the vivace boards , my mate still has and uses his 282 and swears by it .
If Bic brought back this board into mass production we would be Heroes if we could just sail the bloody things .
My thoughs are if you wanted to turn someone off windsurfing lend/recomend one of these .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Well a year or so on with Baby Techno (Techno 2 small), and how do I feel. Well it is great in a straight line and turns well, both with my attempted gybes and tacking. OK in lighter winds as their is reasonable volume 118L in the right places, so you can get away with most things.

In fact its not much less stable than the big techno, given that even though its 40cm, shorter its almost as wide. In fact I reckon it could probably be used by relatively in experience windsurfers who would normally go for the 140-160L range.

Baby is really is a stable flat water early planning blasting board, and its certainly as quick as I need. But this is also a problem for me, as I love old Cyrano, and still reckon it is great all round board. I would say Baby is probably no better in Chop than Cyrano, and problem less comfortable, although faster. My concerns over chop are well known, but even Ian found that its has Baby has faults in chop.

I found a recent report on the web that pretty much comes to the same conclusion as me on the Techno 2 small. Shame it was not around when I brought the board. So unless I really want a good high speed blast, there is little to choose between. Which is a problem, as this is where I really need an option. At Hamworthy earlier in the year I found I was really getting beaten off the water, and it was just not worth changing down sails. The other problem is I have got few different fins for Cyrano, but as Bic changed the fitting, I only have the nice shiny 40cm. standard fin that comes with it.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in. Having seen Gerry's Techno e med last week at Roadford, it looks like a definite option. Its got the good old trim box fin which could be shared with Cyrano, and at the moment they seem to be available very cheaply (<£450) new although I'd probably look second hand. Not sure I like the anxiety of sailing a shiny new board like Baby. The concern I have is reading the reports it refers to the Techno e as "old school". Its certainly longer than new boards of that type of volume (112L) but I'm guessing a more natural progression and compliment to the original Techno.

Any (sensible) suggestions or comments, or other trimbox options would be welcome.

Oh and if I'm really feeling brave want to test my self, I can always try my newly aquired (by Matt out of a skip) Bic Vivaci 107L/282. Mind you given the comments of many of you better windsurfer, I think it will be a while before it makes it out of the garage. But as a freebee it will be worth a try sometime.
Graham
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

I think you've basically said it yourself, but my reading of some test reports confirms that the BIC Technos are not especially suited to heavy chop. This might explain your "concerns over chop".
dro
surf god
surf god

!!!

Post by dro »

I was going to chip in with a few pearls of wisdom but noticed that you wanted "sensible" advice.
Some other time perhaps

Lord Timid

P.S.
I seem to have lost Captain Ben which has resulted in 50% drop in Timid membership

Come back Captain Ben all is forgiven
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Just for you Dro, Baby Techno is mainly a white board, but the latest models are in a bright Yellow.

Gerry's Techno e is orange, but the latest models are now white.

Neither come in red or blues to the best of my knowledge :wink: .
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

ss

Post by dro »

Well there we are then!

No further explanation required

BUY RED.(whatever the size,shape or make)
Is'nt life simple?

Huw
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

OK Dro I need you help. I've gone and done it. Baby has moved on to a home in London and has been swapped for Dutchy the orange peril (Techno Evo Medium - 112L, 63cm x 268).

Now as you really know Blue not red is the best colour for a board, but what the hell do you make a board that Orange all over. It must have been designed by a Dutchman after one too many trappist beers and funny ciggies! :???: Hence from I will call it Dutchy and hopefully if I get on with it Cyrano could be allowed a semi retirement.

Mind you as I've no idea when I'll get it near the water, I don't even know if I can sail it. I know it will be a bigger challenge than Baby was, but hopefully it will be without the ability to flush your wetsuit every time you go over chop. But going on Gerry's advice about his, and a guy I met at Hamworthy on Sunday, I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

do not worry

Post by dro »

Do not panic
Orange is just red in disguise!
Excellent choice

Huw

P.S.
What excactly is it ?
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Techno Evo Medium - 112L, w63cm x l.265cm details here
http://www.bicsport.com/products/index. ... 01&lang=us

And it looks like, dark glasses at the ready:

Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Site link seems to keep droping and I entered it twice.

Graham
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Graham_U wrote:Site link seems to keep droping and I entered it twice.
So delete/edit the original/copy using the "edit" / "delete" (little "x") buttons you'll see on your own messages.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I edited as you can see from the changed message, but I don't see the delete option anywhere.
Graham
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Graham_U wrote:I edited as you can see from the changed message, but I don't see the delete option anywhere.
As in my last post - the little "x" button. To the R of the "quote" & "edit" buttons.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Nope still no x on my screen. Not sure what going on or whether its Admin only privileges, but edit and quote is all I've got :(

Mind you having just posted this reply (and now editing it) I now see an x, so I assume there is some time limit of reply post function that remove the x/delete option at some time. :shock:
Graham