sorry me again

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

dro
surf god
surf god

sorry me again

Post by dro »

Xmas is coming and family want to buy me a present (with my money!!)

Anyway now that I am using a harness I find I can not wear my old trusty
boyancy aid cos it's material is in the way of the hook

Note in pictures of Nomad trips that everone seems to be wearing a cut down version.

What is it?Is it effective?should I get one? WHERE?

All suggestions ,advice etc would be appreciated.

Thanks again
:?: Huw

Also feel I should have a little sentence at end of posting

Mine would be

"what do you mean NOT ENOUGH WIND? "
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: sorry me again

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote:Also feel I should have a little sentence at end of posting

Mine would be

"what do you mean NOT ENOUGH WIND? "
Easily done: Go to your profile using the link at the top of the page, & create your "little sentence" as your signature. It'll then get appended onto every post.
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Re: sorry me again

Post by Viv Powell »

dro wrote:Xmas is coming and family want to buy me a present (with my money!!)

Anyway now that I am using a harness I find I can not wear my old trusty
boyancy aid cos it's material is in the way of the hook

Note in pictures of Nomad trips that everone seems to be wearing a cut down version.

What is it?Is it effective?should I get one? WHERE?

All suggestions ,advice etc would be appreciated.
Hi Huw

My "cut down version" is made by GUL and I bought it at Windtek in Portland. It worked for me with a seat harness and still does for a waist harness. Though I have heard of others having problems with a similar item with a waist harness, cos the thing rides up and either rubs uncomfortably or blocks out the vision - not usually a good thing when windsurfing, but down to individual style obviously! :wink:

Neil at Windy World tried very hard to flog me a different one when I bought my harness, it had a "special" gap where the harness hook would go. Can't remember the make tho' sorry :( . I think Gerry succombed to Neil's sales pitch and got one. Chris also got a short version, from the boat show last January (Coincidentally ..... we are going to the boat show on 16th January 2005 - want to come??)
Brian D
harness user
harness user

Bouyancy aids

Post by Brian D »

Hi Huw

I bought one of the “cut down versions” a year or so ago and hated it. I found you either had to “belt it up” to a pressure that made your eyes pop or suffer it riding up over the face every time any sort of energetic dismount occurred. As far as I could determine they were made primarily for the dingy market, but found acceptance with a number of Windsurfers, due to the high cut style. Which as I understand is a feature used principally to help position the head and shoulders above water, rather that allow a harness to go underneath (which however was a useful by-product to the windy boys & girls). All to do with the British standards for buoyancy aids – set out to help you keep afloat with your head out of the water as much as possible.
I found it a great shame that the damn thing didn’t work for me as I am a great lover of buoyancy aids especially when you do as much falling in and water-starting as I do.
After a number of attempts with the “cut down Version” I returned to my very old, very tatty, holey, broken zipped Waistcoat type (I’m top right in photo), which I find suits me perfectly. Now unfortunately permanently open as the zip is buggered, it gives no restrictions to either waist or seat harness, however floatation is a little compromised. Made by Open Ocean by Windsurfers, for Windsurfers, its sadly no longer made, and doesn’t conform to the British standards for buoyancy aids -not enough volume). But I really like it, and when and if I buy another buoyancy aid I will look long and hard for something similar.

Obviously different body shapes have an effect but my best advice is Go to the windsufing shop or show and try them on – if you can pull it up after fixing it to a comfortable tightness then rest assured any decent dismount or over-arm activity will do the same.
I don’t know the market in depth but my experience makes me lean towards products designed by windsurfers for windsurfers rather that products designed principally for other sports.