Help choosing some new toys.

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Help choosing some new toys.

Post by PhilipS »

Birthday approaching (25 again, ho, ho). So I thought I would treat myself to one of Windy Worlds package deals.

Currently have 2 boards and 1 decent sail.
Board1: Best describded as a Sailing barge, nearly 4m long and 66cm wide, buoyant enough to support a family of 4, best of all it was free. This board I can sail. Downside is it weighs as much as a Sailing barge.

Board2: Just over 3m long 62cm wide, bought this from Tradeit (mistake) have managed to Sail it a couple of times in Pool Harbour, can't even stand on it in fresh water.

Me:
Weight: 12.5 Stone
Ability: Can get across Llandegfedd reservoir and back without falling in, can gybe and tack, have managed 1 beach start (more luck than skill).

New Toy:
Board: Have managed to narrow this down to 2 types, Starboard Carve or Go. Carve or Go?
Also can't decide what size? I was thinking 141 or 151.

Sail: My 1 decent Sail is 6.5m so I thought a 7.5m? (Which is available in red)

Any help would be great.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

It really depends on what you intend to do. If you only ever planning to puttle around the lake then that is fine. If you are keen to get out more often and improve at sea venues then you will soon out grow those boards, so spending new prices on something like that may seem a waste in the future. Also if your not in the harness/footstraps then the likelihood of catapults are still real, then you are more likely to damage the board which can be heartbreaking if its new.

I'd look for something second hand in that size, rather than new. Someone once told me to go for the smallest I thought I could handle as it will force you to learn. I can not say I'm much of a fan of either the new Carve but it has more potential than the Go which is robust for others to learn on but with very limited potential if you improved. An old Carve could be a good value option, there are plenty of similar.

Also the gap between 6.5 and 7.5 is not that big, and both too much for a decent blow, especially on the salty stuff. Those normally are my two biggest sails, although when I started on lakes with the old Techno I had the 6.5 and 7.8, but soon got a 5.5 when I started to improve.
Graham
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Graham
Definitely got to get a new board, the sailing barge is going to do for my spine. I've looked for months at second hand boards (Ebay, Tradeit, ..etc) they are either a bit advanced for me or have some problem. I'll be sticking with windsurfing for the next few years so something new for a change.
I've been to the seaside a few times with the barge on calm days, it would be nice though to have something I can carry rather drag to the water.
I hear what you are saying about the sail, I did think maybe smaller, however I have noticed that when I'm worrying about roof tiles blowing off the Forum is alive with trips to the coast.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

FYI: Sites I've used for my last few sails and boards, always worth keeping an eye out:

http://www.windsurfer.co.uk/usedgear09s.asp

http://www.boardseeker.com/equipment.php

http://www.boardwise.co.uk/used-boards-c-2.html
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Hi Philip. So exciting getting a load of new kit!

Of these two the Go is a more beginner friendly board - soft top so you don't scrape your legs getting on, good for getting used to having no daggerboard and using the harness. The Carve is a more intermediate board and probably better for when you are comfy using the harness and looking at getting into footstraps, will probably be slightly faster/wobblier/turnier than a Go the same size. But really the size is what will make the biggest difference in sailability. 141 will be more challenging and last you longer than 151. If you go 141, get a Carve.

You could try Tris at OTC Weymouth, he may have one or both that you could hire to try out: http://uk.otc-windsurf.com/boards.htm

How often are you going to get windsurfing? If you are going to do a lot and really go for it it may be worth challenging yourself with the Carve. If you are going to dabble now and then the Go may be better.

6.5 is probably a good sail size for you, 7.5 may come in handy now and again especially on lakes, in the long run you'll probably use 5.5 or 5.7 more. The package will include mast and boom, which may be a waste if they are similar size to mast and boom you already have, so I would work out what sails your current mast and boom will take, and then buy a package including a mast and boom that will extend the range of sails you can use. If that makes sense?

Also, talk to the nice people in the shop, if you only need a sail and a mast extension not a full rig they may be able to work out different packages, to save you from buying anything you already have, and they should know their stuff.

Sorry I appear to have written an essay (now snipped to the more relevant bits!). God I need some wind, roll on Tuesday! Happy shopping!

Rachael
Last edited by rachael on Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Rachael
Interesting essay.
The sailing barge goes most places with me, it has a Scotish badge, a Lake District badge and a Welsh one. It's a bit lump though and starting to get boring. The other problem is no foot straps and they look cool, at my age you'll do anything for an inch of cool.

I think the Carve is a pretty board and the Go is dull. So if I get a Carve at least I'll have what I think is a good looking board on the beach. What I don't understand is the Go and Carve are roughly the same width, length and buoyancy, will I really find a Carve more challenging than a Go?

I'll take yours and Grahams advice about the sail and go smaller, a 5.5 it is.

I'm going for a package deal because apart from 2 new booms and a decent sail the rest of my kit is really old, masts have 0 carbon in them.
Thanks for the reply.
Phil
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

I think you're right to think there won't be masses in it. Go should be a bit more stable and is soft on top. Carve is prettier and a bit more advanced. Maybe Carve 151 is balance between beauty and accessibility and will also allow you to go board shopping again sooner. :D
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

The Go is usually heavier and Slower but beginner/family friendly, Carve faster, more responsive, but more fragile. The choice should really depend on what you plan to do. I suspect most with experience would prefer to sail a Carve over a Go, unless they were trying to lean something.

If you get the bug properly you will soon grow out of the GO and a 151 will seem a massive board. For learning/getting through the harness/footstraps they will be fine, but soon you would need something smaller, and may question why you spent all that money on something new.

The same with the sails, when I was at your stage I used my 7.8 most often to get out as much as possible. My 7.5 is still my most used sail, especially on lakes, and I'm similar size to you. If I can not get planning on that then its no longer worth going, but in those day I would go just to get water time. But if you get the bug you would soon need something smaller than 6.5 as that's when the real fun starts.
Graham
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

The 141 and 151 Carve and Go are 15cm wider than the boards I have now, will the additional width make much difference?

Maybe I'll take a deep breath and get a 5.5m and 7.5m sail.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

FWIW, my sail range goes 7.4, 6.2, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2, which works reasonably well for me @ 83Kg
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Martin, I've seen you windsurfing and the sort of wind speeds you venture out in, Wow!

Don't think I'll need a 4.2 anytime soon.
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Hello Philip, I was in a similar position a few years back, I picked up a Bic Bamba (long board) and one day managed to unexpected get it to plane, I was hooked :) I also trawled the various used kit sites trying to decide between the likes of a Go or a more advanced platform, in the end I settled for a Carve 145, a decision I am still pleased with now. Would however mention that my sailing is mostly on lakes and the Carve can be a bit of a handfull when considering the likes of Weston with an incomming tide and the prevailing Westerly wind direction. In terms of sails sizes, my experience is probably a little maveric, I started out using mainly a 7.1 with the Carve, but more recently, moved up to a 9.4, which is proably a little too big for it, but it seems to work, needless to say, this is on nice flat lakes, Cheers, Richard
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Richard maybe it's time to get a nice Futura 122 for coastal trips!
Discount for you as I still owe you one for helping us get the Kode home from Dahab.
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Richard, the sailing barge is a BIC, I'm not sure of the model, definitely a practical classic bordering on vintage. I would like to post a picture of it but can't figure out how. Don't think I'll ever get it to plane without an outboard.
I like the 144 Carve mostly based on what people have said, the starboard advert and I think it looks nice. I did go to a "try it out day" at Axbridge last year with a view to having a go, unfortunately there were other people, all much better than me so I sloped off, must man up a bit.

I've had a go at Weston on the barge a couple of times with some success. Not planing though due to lack of outboard.

The used board sites don't seem to have these modern 130ltr to 150ltr boards. People I've met who own them will not part with them, they keep them for light wind days and the family.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

PhilipS wrote:... I would like to post a picture of it but can't figure out how...
Answer here
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.