Moving further down the board range

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Moving further down the board range

Post by Graham_U »

Having just about master my Kombat 97, its even been known to be taken on outing on its own, I've been thinking for some time I should try something smaller for those really windy days before I get too old. So far the smallest board I've sailed was a JP quad 92 or Kode 94 and not too sure how small I should be looking as I've always had a phobia about boards that sink :???: . I had a few chats with Justine and Matt on the beach last year but don't really want to go for the expense of a new board as I would expect it will get much use.

So looking for cheap recommendations. I've seen an advert for a 2006 Kombat 86 in the right price range but not sure if I should be looking for something different. They also got an Acid 88, but I've always been put off these by people that say they are dedicate wave boards that are difficult to sail.

So any comments from those of you with experience of these tiny little things. :roll:
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Re: Moving further down the board range

Post by rachael »

Sorry Graham I haven't sailed these, I've sailed Kode 86, Flare 86, RRD Twin Tip 80something, Fanatic everything 80something, Tabou 3style 80something, they were all nice! I'm around 65kg on a good day so these are comfy range for me.
I found it doesn't make a massive amount of difference which board I'm on, except freestyley ones are slower to get going but keep planing in lulls, freestylewave ones are a bit nippier, I haven't spent much time on out and out waveboards though cos it was flat water all summer.
My old Kode 94 is looking for a new home if you're interested and I might let you test my Kode 86 if you put your kid gloves on! :)
Or try the OTC at Portland they may have some fun boards you can hire for an hour to try?
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Thanks Rachael. My extra 20+kg doesn't make a very good comparison so I was looking for feed back from the bigger lumps in the club :D . One problem is that that I really need a good blow to attempt something in this range, probably sub 5M weather, the Kombat 97 does me fine normally in decent conditions at WSM. Its just those time when its scares the whatsits out of me as on the edge of control in really lumpy conditions. To be honest I think the Kombat is too fast on those days so not sure if going small will solve anything :shock:
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Smaller boards shouldn't feel as fast because they won't be bouncing around as much and probably would give you more control I guess.
Or you could use a smaller sail on those days! ;)
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

Graham

As an idea I am about 12 ½ stone give or give a few pounds. I have an 82 litre wave board (F2 Wave 254) of about 2000/2001 vintage which I have used on average probably no more than a couple of times a year.
You know how attached I am to my green Fanatic Bee 274, well even I have to concede that when it is less than 5m weather at WSM I would much prefer to be on the wave board, it is far more manageable for the reasons Rachael has mentioned. I actually think a smaller board is easier to waterstart as well. I do not think the lack of volume in those conditions would be an issue to you but a blessing instead.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

rachael wrote:Smaller boards shouldn't feel as fast because they won't be bouncing around as much and probably would give you more control I guess.
Errr - Because they're not bouncing around as much, you'll probably be going faster. With more control.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Speaking as a bigger lump (~95kg) I've had quite a bit of use out of my Evo 80. As long as there's consistent wind it's no more difficult to sail than my 96L Kombat since you're planing anyway, and really it's generally easier in those kind of strong wind conditions as it's more controllable in the rougher sea state. In fact, I remember the first time I used it I felt at home straight away and I was surprised how easy it was to sail, as well as it being so much smoother over the bumps. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually bigger than 80L but then again it is now recognised as a classic shape so maybe it's that the volume is very efficiently distributed. If there's enough wind to be moving then it just pops up. I've also noticed that when pushing the board in in the shallows at WSM that it starts to surf itself in on any little wave that comes along which I reckon is a sign of how good a shape it is.
Anyway, if I'm on the Kombat and it starts to feel too big and bouncy then I change to the Evo rather than changing sails and it's fine with 5.7m down. I generally use it with a 26cm fin but occasionally swap to a 23 if it's really nuking. Of course there are plenty of other boards available nowadays and with the current fashion for multi fins you should be able to pick up a single fin pretty cheaply. Or if you want to spend lots of money, the word seems to be to go for a quad or tri fin sized in litres equal to or slightly above your body weight in kgs. Best to try out first of course.
Should've been here yesterday.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Thanks Matt. I seem to remember that although you've sailed a lot longer than I have and are a far better windsurfer, your progression was a bit like mine, so your experience well worth noting. Still concerns about the gap better 97 and 80 L though, especially when the wind drops suddenly, which we had a few times last year. :shock:

Interesting that you use a fairly big fin on the Evo. Most of the 85ish L. boards seem to be in the 22-24cm fin range, which knowing how heavy footed I can be, makes me fear I'll spend more time going sideways with Spin out. I certainly got on better with the Kombat when I got a 30cm. fin. for use with the bigger sails.
Graham