Beginner advice please!

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

DanD
complete beginner

Beginner advice please!

Post by DanD »

Hi guys
I’m a new member and relatively new to windsurfing.
I spent a summer windsurfing with friends in Australia and caught the bug. I got in the straps plaining a few times, and water started a couple of times, but it was mostly down to luck rather than judgement!
I’d like to take it up over here and was after some advice relating to where to go and kit set-up.
I live in Bristol and would ideally like to sail in Weston Super Mare or nearby but I’ve heard it gets quite choppy. Is it too difficult for novices or are there conditions that I might be ok in?
I’m also after a board. I’ve seen a Naish nitrix at 155 ltr and a Goya FXR at 145 ltr. I’m about 80KG and 6ft. Mostly up-hauling at the mo but keen to learn waterstarts and gybing.
I’d be very grateful for any advice.
Many thanks
Cheers
Dan
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: Beginner advice please!

Post by Graham_U »

I'm not expert but a keen late adopter who can just about survive at Weston in most conditions, there are far more competent windsurfer in the club. A warning, WSM is not ideal for beginners as its can get quite wavy so you really need to be comfortable waterstarting, it can often be difficult to get off the beach especially near high tide and sailing time is limited. With the mud and sand its not ideal for nice shiny new kit.

It sounds like you've made a far bit of progress and with strap and W/S you would probably be close to the Advance course on many teaching holiday. That would be my recommendation if you can afford it to go on a Neilson/Club Vass/Ocean Elements type of holiday to one of their windsurf focus resorts. As well as getting some serious training, you will also get the chance to try out various style and sizes of boards. Its how I learnt most of the basics and with a week or two solid sailing you make great sides. Also keep an eye out for demo days, unfortunately not a common as they used to be as so many shops have closed so you may have to travel. I've never tried it, but I don't know if the OTC at Portland offer a chance to try out various kit for a price.

The size of board you are talking about would be OK for an intermediate but way too big for Weston, and with the progress you have made already you would soon out grow it. Local lakes like Axbridge or Llandegfedd would be more suited, but if you already water-starting I'd go a little smaller. My Tabou Rocket 125 is a good all round free ride board that can easily be uphauled and I'm about 80kg+/-. Most manufacturers make something similar, and modern boards are even wider and lower volume. I've sailed the Rocket a reasonably amount at WSM, but if your serious about sailing there, then you will soon want something smaller, my normal weapon is a Kombat 97 there. Intermediate locations would be Poole or Portland harbours, which can be choppy but no real waves, but are further away. Whatever you do I'd recommend you buy second hand, until you know what you really want, there was a big change in board design in about 2000 to wide style which are far easer to sail, and you can get reasonable boards for a fraction of the new price.

good luck.
Graham
DanD
complete beginner

Re: Beginner advice please!

Post by DanD »

Cheers for that

Sounds like WSM is more advanced, with waterstarts a key skill at least...

I'll check out the other locations you mentioned and the holiday idea.

Thanks

Dan