advice

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

dro
surf god
surf god

advice

Post by dro »

christmas is coming and e bay is tempting me

decided that chairman of timids needs to change board (god knows why? but just fancy a new toy)
ANYWAY THERE IS AN OFFER ON A NEW STARBOARD CARVE 131 AND A JP EXCITE 135
and I feel ready to sell my soul for one of these

Wife not impressed so will have devise a cunning plan!!!(not tell her)

anyway not impressed by the colours but hey what the hell sometimes one has to make a sacrifice.
Tried the starboard on holiday and it really appealed to my ego (and I could still uphaul it) reading various bits and pieces the Jp seems to be very well thought of as well.

Which one? or even none at all
fairly similar price.

All contributions welcome but hurry only 36 hours left on starboard

Cheers
Huw (not Graham Utteridge)
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
DudleyB
novice
novice

Advice.

Post by DudleyB »

Huw,
Both these boards, and a number of others were reviewed in June2005
edition of Boards magazine.If you cannot get hold of this I will gladly
send you a copy.
All the best
Dudley Brown.
could try harder
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

If you buy one, make sure you get a nose protector too. For the board that is.

Good luck,

Matt
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

time ran out so no new board
Thanks for replies

Huw
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Probably just as well Huw. Those Carves are nasty beasts, I've got more scars on my shins from sailing them on a few holidays than I have from a lifetime of playing football (without shin pads) and rugby.:D

What ever you do don't sell the Techno, you'll still find a use for it. We wouldn't want to lose you from the Techno Owners Club. :wink:

I'm not sure I see the point in the expense of a new board only about 20L less than the Techno. If I'm honest I probably would have gone for something smaller than my 118L baby if I had the choice again. I find my Techno is still the weapon of choice on our little puddle in the Cotswolds, as the extra stability is useful when you've not got much room to play with or the wind is marginal. I use the baby more on the sea.
Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I forgot to say, in general I agree with Matts point on nose protector, but if you get the official ones they are very expensive. The unofficial ones like the one on Cyrano are very cheap, I can get 4 out of the £6 woggle, but they don't look so good on a nice shiny new board. Hence the reason Baby still has an unprotected nose, and the duck tape lives with the kit. But as Keith, who is a far better sailor than us, can testify, its a risk and I've been lucky so far.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

thanks

Post by dro »

thanks Graham
my head agreed with you and was probably the reason why I did not proceed.But my heart/ego/whatever fancied something bright shiny and new .
Realistically I could not manage anything smaller than 130 at the moment but !!!!!

No way could I part with the Techno it would cry for ever and I would be rather cut up as well.It will remain for son/grandchild/nephew/niece /dog to play with (and me ,cos its all i have got)
Also like the colour

Nose protector clearly good idea

While on line thought I would share a problem I've come across
Over the last 5 months I have started wearing my son's crash helmet to sail and have become very comfortable with it.But last time out in Barry i could not understand why i was so cold ,Helmet has air holes and not as good as my old dirty man's neoprene balaclava

So more expense I am afraid !

Hope to have a couple more splashes before Xmas if wind,tide and frost allow

Anyway I hope you all have a brave and happy Xmas

From Mr.Timid