Small/high wind sails

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

NeilB
novice
novice

Small/high wind sails

Post by NeilB »

Having been blown off the water a couple of times this year I think it time I got a better small sail. I currently have a 4.2 and 4.7 north zeta, both very old.
I was thinking of replacing these with something around 4.5.
My starting point is either a Tush Storm or Rock, but can anyone recommend any other make/model which is easy to use in high wind situations? It needs to rig well on a 430 mast.

thanks
Neil
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Sails from North / Dave Ezzy are generally indestructible (well almost :D ) but come at a price. Most modern sails of that sort of size are probably going to want to set on a 4.0m mast though so be sure to check.
If found, please return to the pub.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

I would,nt spend a forture as you original comment is a couple of times this yr !
thats about all a sub 4.5m gets used , far better to spend on the 5.3m as it gets a lot of use (my way anyway) .
But to anwser your question most small sails are easy to use , unless its very,very old and has cams ! Most will require a smaller 400 mast thought which is again add expense for "several times a year"
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
NeilB
novice
novice

Post by NeilB »

I have a newish 5.25m Storm which I use a lot. I could justify the cost of a smaller sail (and mast?) if means I get the best from those few precious days that I manage to get to the coast. I have to cherry pick my days so I only go if the forcast is "solid" ... unfortunately it has been a bit too solid for most of my trips this year.

I noticed that the Tush Rock has a 410 luff so might work better on a 430
mast than some. Alternatively, may be my North Zeta 4.2 might do better if I got a 400 mast.

Perhaps at a future event I'll rig the zetas up and get some advice about the setting. Of course it might just be me.

Neil
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

My favourite sails are....

North Zeta 4.7 (1998)
North Zeta 4.2 (1997)

I'll carry on using them 'till they fall apart - which will be a very long time time with the amount of use they get.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.