Progressor board

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Hi Huw,

Alas the modern boards weren't around when I was going through the process of figuring out how to drive a windsurfer, so I can't necessarily comment on the total suitability of the boards, however I can certainly suggest a few.

Over the past four or five years, two boards in particular have managed a good attempt at been suitable for learning and progressing once you are over the early part of the learning curve. They are the Bic Techno as you mentioned and the F2 Pheonix.

As you point out the Techno (I am referring to the 283cm 152lt version) doesn't have a daggerboard, however its fin (46cm) does a good impression of one and it will remain a very good light wind board for you once you have windsurfing "cracked". Neroli and I actually have 2 283 Technos. We started with one, however we liked it so much and both wanted to use it on the light wind days so ended up buying a second. The only down side I would warn you about on a Techno is that the nose like most modern boards is particularly thin and fragile, so expect to crack it during the catapults you have ahead of you.

The Pheonix I think is about 215lt and does come with a dagger board and enormous fin. Due to the daggerboard it is slightly more beginner focused than the Techno and one that I think you are more likely to grow out of. Also in its favour is that the nose is thicker and less likely to suffer damage.

Both of these boards now appear on the second hand market. As to which one, I would suggest the Techno - but I am biased and don't know how much you want / need the reassurance of a daggerboard. Good luck deciding.

Ian.
If found, please return to the pub.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I would warn you about on a Techno is that the nose like most modern boards is particularly thin and fragile, so expect to crack it during the catapults you have ahead of you.
Totally agree with Ian on this, as much as I like my Techno the nose was already dinged before I bought it, and even with the use a Jez's Knob I managed to creak it again. But the good news from personal experience is that fixing them is easy. I'd never touched epoxy before, and whilst its not perfect, its sails fine and does the job.

I think we discussed this subject on an earlier thread. Other thoughts from someone who has only had my own kit for a year:

- As much as I hate the HiFly poly tubs, they are certainly more robust. Just look at how long they last at centre compared with modern boards.
- As for the debate somewhere about a dagger board, it would depend on your the level and where you sail. Personally I'm paranoid about the open sea, and getting up wind can be difficult when over powered or in heavy sea. But on a lake its now problem as you can alway walk as a last resort.
- I've never sailed the pheonix, but know several people who do who rate it as the best dagger board.
- As a point of reference, my Techno only cost me £200 from BWW, compared with the amount I've spent since on rig and other kit this is a fairly small portion.
Graham