Boom Clamp Tension

What worked/didn't work for you. Sort out that 3xpirouette heli-dismount here

Moderator: Moderators

Rob
novice
novice

Boom Clamp Tension

Post by Rob »

Can anyone offer any tips/tecchniques for setting the correct tension on the boom clamp?
Apprentice windsurfer
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Err - not so tight that it crushes the mast/breaks the lever. Not so loose that it wobbles and slips??
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Rob
novice
novice

Post by Rob »

I'll take that as a "No" then. :)
Apprentice windsurfer
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Seriously, Rob - that's probably about the sum of it.

With most clamps these days, the loading is pretty well spread, so it's probably unlikely to damage the mast if you try to make it too tight. More likely, you'll damage the rope or the cleat on the clamp.

You definitely don't want a wobbly boom: It does nothing to assist stance or control. If it slips down the mast, it's too loose.

Or are you having some other kind of problem? Maybe you have a really, really old type of boom that doesn't have a lever-actuated clamp??
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Rob
novice
novice

Post by Rob »

Thanks Martin,

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I realise that what you said is an obvious answer but I would of felt more stupid had I not asked the question and wrecked the mast, only to discover that I could of avoided damaging it by asking the question.

Thanks again,

Rob.
Apprentice windsurfer
Poole Windsurfing
novice
novice

Getting the correct windsurf boom tension...

Post by Poole Windsurfing »

You want to get a nice solid connection between boom & mast. As a guide to knowing if you have the correct amount of tension without crushing the mast - you should have to put a bit of force into closing the clamp to the point where it should resist then 'snap' shut (watch your fingers when doing this).

If its any tighter you will see the clamp systems plastic cup bending out of shape & it will be a real super human effort to close the lever over - this is TOO much tension & can lead to damaging the mast & boom clamp.

A side line to all this that you may be interested to know is that you can buy booms with 'Articulating heads'. Translated, this means even when clamped solid to the mast the boom angle can move up & down, giving you maximum adjustment & prolonging the life of your boom by reducing the strain imposed by a 'fixed' front end.

We exclusively use booms with 'articulating heads' at the Poole Windsurfing School & all the students love them!

Hope this help explain things a little more.
Happy Windsurfing
Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire
Phone: 01202 237247
Email: info@poolewindsurfing.co.uk
Web: www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk
Rob
novice
novice

Post by Rob »

Many thanks Poole Windsurfing for responding to my post, it’s very much appreciated.

It’s nice to know that there are so many people willing help me learn this great sport by providing answers to what I realise are very basic questions.

Apart from helping to answer my initial question you’ve provided me with another bit of kit to research - booms with ‘Articulating Heads’.
Apprentice windsurfer