Kit hire/refresher lessons near Bristol?

Any questions / thoughts about specific places - particularly those outside of our *normal* area. Note that there's also the locations section on the main website with stacks if info about our area + Anglesey + Fuerteventura.

Moderator: Moderators

rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Kit hire/refresher lessons near Bristol?

Post by rachael »

Hi,

Can anyone suggest somewhere near Bristol where I can hire windsurf kit and get refresher lessons please? I did a couple of holidays last year and got into harness but not footstraps - so am not good enough to go it alone yet!

I found Croft Farm, Tewkesbury on the web - www.croftfarmleisure.co.uk - has anyone been there, is it good?

I sense you guys are more in the advanced world of windsurfing but if you organise anything intermediatish please let me know!

Thanks,
Rachael
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

only place I can think off is Llandegfedd resivoir Pontypool .
They are Rya approved and offer kit hire etc ,
They recently started a windsurfing club there , dont know what the full s.p. is with the club but most usually got some kit to borrow and plenty willing helpers for learners .
May be your best option .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Thanks

Post by rachael »

Thanks Kelvin - Llandegfedd looks a good tip (though I can't spell it or say it, thank god for cut and paste! ) Will check it out.

Cheers,
Rachael
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Croft Farm is a very small lake but it is well run and has good facilities. It would be excellent for the early phases of learning but will hold you back once you start trying to get into the harness and certainly the foot straps.

Not sure if the lakes up near Circencester offer kit hire these days, Matt can you advise?

The other alternative would be some of the SW Water lakes but they are a fair drive away - Roadford and Sibleyback reserviors I think both hire kit out but you would have to check before making the trek down there. These two lakes are similiar sizes to Llan Dog Food as Kelvin suggests. Out of all of them, I think I would go to Llan Dog Food. (You can usually camp in the field of the pub, up the hill from the reservior entrance if you want to have a weekend trip)
If found, please return to the pub.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Re. the Cotswold Water Park near Cirencester, there are two possible places that I know of:

Waterland - not sure if they hire kit out though. GrahamU should be able to advise since he used to be a member there. Found this link

http://www.ukwatersports.co.uk/prices.html

and

South Cerney Outdoor Education Centre (SCOEC).

http://www.southcerneyoutdoor.co.uk/windsurfing.html

Give em a ring.
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Thanks

Post by rachael »

Ace - thanks loads all of you. Great to have some options.
Will make some calls and get on it!

Cheers,
Rachael
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Exmouth windsurfing was offering lessons on the duck pond (harbour). Not sure whether they hire out boards. See locations section on this website or try http://www.waterfront-sports.co.uk and speak to Pete Manfield ("Stretch")

The journey time is about an 1 1/4 hr from Bristol - except Saturday mornings in the Summer :wink:
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Waterland is a bigger lake than Croft Farm (which I think is very limited), but much small than CanDogFood(which would get my vote). Its surrounded by trees, some quite large, so its not necessarily easiest place to sail. Its also got one of the "shiftiest" launch areas I've ever come across with regular 180 deg wind shifts and complete wind shadows.

There were still doing lessons and hiring kit last season, and see its still on their price list. I'm not sure if they are still in that side of the business, they never sent me a renewal, and with my employment situation I didn't chase it. So I've not been there since October. However it did me well for a couple years when I wanted a lot of local water time to get the basics sorted out.

Day tickets were very expensive £15, membership more reasonable with no duties. the changing rooms and showers were good.

The folks there are fine once you know them, but they can be a little intimidating when you first get there as they have to spend a lot of time chasing off people trying to avoid the parking fees at the park up the road.
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Well I made it up to Llandegfedd today for a lesson, what a lovely place and plenty windy enough for me! Will definitely be back for more. Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers,
Rachael
Poole Windsurfing
novice
novice

Poole Harbour is a top place to progress your windsurfing

Post by Poole Windsurfing »

Hi Rachael,

If you fancy a day out, you should really come to Poole Harbour in Dorset. Its probably the best windsurfing location in the UK. Safe, shallow water that is perfect for learning & progressing your windsurfing skills.

I have quite a few regulars who make the trip from the Bristol area & they love it down here.

There is a specially designated area of the harbour that is only for watersports users, giving us all loads of open space to blast around & not worry about hitting any boats!

If you come down some time this summer, come and see us at Poole Windsurfing (01202 237247) for a lesson, to rent kit or just to say hi.

I think you will be surprised at just how nice a place it is to go windsurfing.

For some background windsurfing reading material have a look at the Top Windsurfing Tips & Latest News blog, its got loads of really interesting & useful information about everything windsurfing.
Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire
Phone: 01202 237247
Email: info@poolewindsurfing.co.uk
Web: www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk