Exmouth

Any questions / thoughts about specific places - particularly those outside of our *normal* area. Note that there's also the locations section on the main website with stacks if info about our area + Anglesey + Fuerteventura.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Exmouth

Post by Graham_U »

I've never sailed there, although I paid a visit for a look round after Bristol was stuffed by Exeter a week ago. My question to the old hands is:
Is it as good as Windguru makes out?
I have a number of locations in my Windguru report, but Exmouth always seems to be much windier than Portland, Poole, or other favourites, yet I hear very little of people sailing there, even though its M5 most of the way. Am I missing something? One of my instructors on holiday was at Exeter Uni and rated it highly. The one down side I could see from my walk is that the estuary is very tidal, so I guess access is limited.
Graham
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Have you read the write-up on Exmouth? http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/locatio ... xmouth.htm
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

http://www.exmouthcam.co.uk/webcam.htm

here u go take a look for yourself , superweb cam with live video stream and the abillity to select view ,seafront etc.

sailed around that way a bit yrs ago would,t be top of my wish list .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Thanks Martin, I had looked at it, but not for a while. Still not totally sure why this is not more popular, if Windguru is to be believed. I assume the sailing range at Poole and Portland is much greater.

Not sure that checking the parking spaces with Kelvin's webcam will guarantee availability when I get there, but thanks anyway.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

The main reason why Exmouth isn't so popular is because of the tides - The duck pond has an even smaller tidal range when it is sailable than Weston. (That might be a little unfair but probably not far from the mark.) It also has a #@%&* height barrier over the nearest car park making it very difficult for high sided vans :( :(

The sea front is sailable in all states of the tide. Depending on where the water is you will either be able to sail across the sand bar or have to carry your kit across it. However the current between the beach and the sand bar is very strong which makes it tricky to beach start unless you are very quick and very difficult to get back to your launch point if your not on the plane. This current is the primary reason why Exmouth isn't so popular, it really isn't for the feint hearted, although the conditions once out can be epic :lol: :lol:, particularly in a south easterly.
If found, please return to the pub.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Thanks Ian, so there is a down side to your big van after all :shock:
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Not getting into the Duck Pond car park is a very small price to pay for a warm, dry changing room, abundant coffee, no tying kit to roof racks, etc etc. :lol: I'm sticking with the van.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

There's room for push bikes too.. (he said quietly!) :)
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

mmm....!! I'm getting a bit worried by all this stuff on Bikes. One of the things I love about Windsurfing is that it is relatively safe/painless way of getting a buzz. I know its possible to get hurt, and have managed it a few times, but compared to hairing down hill on a bike its relatively safe.

On the couple of Neilson hols I've done, when I've been out on the bikes, I'm normally one of the first up the hills and the last down them, with smoking brakes. Actually give the mix of Bikes and Windsurfing, I'm surprised Neilson are not more popular with the club.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Graham, We'll have to work on you. Your possibly the only person I know with as many bits of bike and wheels in his garage as I have and you have the Ridgeway right on your door step! No excuses really.

It has to be slightly tempting?

Rest assured, as soon as the windy weekends return, the bikes will start sulking in the garage and their riders will be taking advantage of the increased fitness by staying on the water for longer. 8)
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I think if any of those bits of bike went near the Ridgway they'd fall to bits. Roads are relatively flat and smooth, even then I still break enough spokes.
Graham
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

this months winsurf mag is out with a rerun of some old beachguides
updated , which this month gives details on locations along the south coast
exmouth, duckpond etc.
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Cool avatar Kelvin 8) .

.... and just to upset Graham - see my new avatar :twisted: !

All being well this will change back within a month - when the weather becomes warm enough for me to take to the water again :D :D (hopeless circulation and hands permitting :cry: )

Oooo! one more post and I get my 4th star - harness user, no less 8) 8)
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

OK, just for that......... :D
Graham
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Cool 8) - haven't a clue what it means tho' :roll: . Please tell me that it involves rugby, not football.

Viv