Wimbleball

Any questions / thoughts about specific places - particularly those outside of our *normal* area. Note that there's also the locations section on the main website with stacks if info about our area + Anglesey + Fuerteventura.

Moderator: Moderators

Tired tim
had a lesson
had a lesson

Wimbleball

Post by Tired tim »

Does anyone have any experience of this lake? I'm looking for somewhere to use during the week and I've heard that it's open 7 days. :???:
Proving it's not a perfect world
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

You'll find there's a bare minimum of info here: http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/locatio ... leball.htm

There are a couple of links to other websites there that might help in your quest.

I did find this comment on Forces of Nature website:
I've sailed Wimbleball before and it does very odd things with the wind funelling arround the hills.
If you do make it there, it would be great if you'd care to update the page on our website (please!!).
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

Having followed Martins links it does look like it's now open 7 days.

I last went there about 3 years ago when it was only open when the sailing club was open. This was with the SW Region racing longboards. In light winds you can get some very interesting wind effects in places - even going round in circles in front of the club house. The wind tends to follow the valleys. So if the wind direction and a valley line up you can get some good winds.
It is a very nice place to go and friendly people.

It used to be sign posted from the Minehead road.

Have you thought about Llandegfed?
Tired tim
had a lesson
had a lesson

Post by Tired tim »

Keith S wrote: Have you thought about Llandegfed?
I was just curious about Wimbleball. I've heard loads of people talk about it but none of them have ever been there! :)
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Maybe we should have a club or unofficial trip there when there some wind forecast for that area. It seems a shame to have such little knowledge in the club, about somewhere relatively close. As fan of flat sailing I'd be up for a trip, might even make a Mon or Frid at the moment Tim if you want to go during the week, if the forecast is encouraging.
Graham
Tired tim
had a lesson
had a lesson

Post by Tired tim »

Graham_U wrote:Maybe we should have a club or unofficial trip there when there some wind forecast for that area. As fan of flat sailing I'd be up for a trip, might even make a Mon or Frid at the moment Tim if you want to go during the week, if the forecast is encouraging.
I'll certainly be up for a splash. Let me know if you decide to go. :)