Goya wave sago

Hints/tips, Qs & As on all manner of keeping stuff going that little bit longer.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Goya wave sago

Post by MartinF »

Here's the nose on my 86; Goya after after laminating.

This is after grinding away all the debris & damaged foam, adding four layers of divinycell foam and rubbing down to the approx shape.

It's really a bugger trying to laminate round the nose - too many sharp angles, and too many curves in too many planes. Almost impossible to get the glass/carbon fibre to go round and stay round.

I wanted to vacuum bag the whole thing as an experiment - it HAS to be the best way of getting a void-free repair. But the cost of a decent vacuum pump + pressure gauge + relief valve is a bit prohibitive for the occasional repair (though at the rate I seem to break boards these days...).

A fairly good second best is cling film. After pratting around trying to get the carbon fibre layers to go round the corners, and stick to the rails in a neat & tidy fashion, I gave up & wopped cling film over - pulled as tight as poss and then held in place with masking tape. Seems to have done a good job - can't detect any voids.

This has a small layer of horizontal-weave carbon from top side to hull side over the nose tip, followed by a layer of carbon on the top & rails, extending under the hull. Then an interleaved layer of glass on the hull, followed by another layer of carbon on the deck, again wrapped round to the hull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.