HELP! Board repair advice ... please !

Hints/tips, Qs & As on all manner of keeping stuff going that little bit longer.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
surf god
surf god

HELP! Board repair advice ... please !

Post by Sue »

My beloved 85 litre has a small crack/ dent in the underside - suspect by pressing down on stones at Portland yesterday whilst screwing the deckplate in firmly! I have done this before .. so you'd think I'd know better!

Besides cracking the outer white plastic ( ...is that gelcoat :???: ) there is a dent/ slight softness around it. I scaped the white plastic off a little to reveal the next grey layer ... but that didn't tell me anything as I don't know what I'm looking for!

So how do I know if a Dr Ding repair is sufficient, or if it needs something more than that? If it needs something more (.. as before) it was sent away to the Board hospital for an £80 treatment :cry: (... and ... :cry: :cry: :evil: I was without it for a couple of weeks!).

Here's a (poor) pic of it!

Any advice gratefully received - thanks.

Cheers
Sue :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sue on Mon Jul 11, 2011 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nature playing with windsurfers
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear your board is poorly. Your photo seems not to have uploaded, but Billy says if you email me the photo he'll have a look - he used to do board repair in Vass. He reckons if it's cracked the grey layer then it will need more than Dr Ding but if not Dr Ding will probably be enough.

edit - can see the photo now, and the verdict is more than Dr Ding - we don't have the repair kit so don't read this post, read Martin's, much more help!

Rach
Last edited by rachael on Sun Jul 10, 2011 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I'll be happy to take a look at it for you Sue. I've mended a number of boards over the years & have all the stuff necessary.

With luck, it should be possible to do a fairly invisible repair as there's no artwork around the damage.

The bad news is that I can only work outside in the back garden, so it's somewhat weather-dependent.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Rachael
Thanks for the post, and for trying to help me with it :D . I reckon I did it when swapping boards over at the water's edge, as it is very stony , and screwing the deck plate into the 85, I probably pressed down far too hard directly on the stones (... just a little warning for you when you come to do the same one day with your Kode!). I suspect also that it is a little more than something Dr Ding can sort out!

Hi Martin
Have sent you an email now, but very kind of you to offer to fix it :D
Not so bothered about the repair being invisible ... but then again if that is thrown into the service .. :D :D

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

... and what a marvellous repair Martin has done ... thanks Martin :-))

Couldn't have asked for a speedier service ... and with the "invisible" aspect thrown in too!

Very happy to be back on the water with it today .. :D