Mast repair??

Hints/tips, Qs & As on all manner of keeping stuff going that little bit longer.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Mast repair??

Post by Mark Gregory »

Hi, take a look at my mast which was damaged when a mate wedged it into my van forcefully. - The plonker!! :(

So split near the lip where the top mast sits. It's been sat in my garage for 4 years with me thinking unrepairable! Would glue/fibre glass resin be strong enough or is it destined for the bin?

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the Surf
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I can't tell from the pic which crack/split you're referring to. It looks like there are 3 to me, but there's just not enough detail.

There's a possibility that the crack(s) is/are just surface/superficial, but there's no real way of telling without cutting the mast up to look!

Here's something you could try: Put the top section of mast onto the bottom section. Using a friend or two, flex the top section relative to the bottom section. Holding alternately the top section and the top of the bottom section, see if you can feel/hear any "softness". When I say flex the mast, get serious with it.

If that test passes, rig it up using preferably an old sail with no value. Fit the boom & pull on masses of downhaul. With your friends to help, hold the base firm and really try to load up the top section by bending it every which way.

If it still hasn't snapped, then you *might* get away with using it in gentle conditions. But would you want to trust it?

Repair? Nah - not possible.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Thanks for the advice Martin, "Repair? Nah - not possible." - Thought that would be the case, but thought it was worth asking and No I would trust it and it would always be on my mind when sailing!
Thanks again.
Welcome to the Surf