non-slip repair/replacement/improvement

Hints/tips, Qs & As on all manner of keeping stuff going that little bit longer.

Moderator: Moderators

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

non-slip repair/replacement/improvement

Post by Al Donald »

My F2 Axxis has very poor non-slip now (never good when new apparently) and I was wondering what the best way to improve it would be. Two options I'd prefer to avoid would be a coating of polyester resin filled with sand (perish the thought :shock: ) and using the type of wax used on surfboards as this would become very messy, although it might work.
Suggestions appreciated, please.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I know I'd use the sand option, but at Vass last year they were using deck-grip out of a tin and applying it with a roller.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Sugar is a more widely accepted alternative to sand. It disolves in the water, just leaving the ridges and presumably has less of a colour impact.

Never tried using sugar though, only the aerosol stuff which lasted a good 2 minutes on the water before I was back to square one.
If found, please return to the pub.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

tight gits !
do it tidy
rat rigs sell regrip kits which consists of a roller some some 2 part epoxy and the correct grip media , they made by maui magic , last time i bought one it was about£14 .
prob winsurf world has similar
GO U KNOW U WANT IT
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I've used both home made solutions (polyester resin + sugar, epoxy resin + sugar) AND commercial (Maui Magic roll-on and another aerosol spray-on).

By far and away, the worst was the spray-on. Avoid like the plague.

The best - the sugar and resin. For safety (your board's, NOT yours), use epoxy resin. Cheap if you have the resin already, otherwise expensive to buy UV resistant, marine quality epoxy.

The easiest - commercially available roll-on. I *think* this uses an acrylic-based adhesive, so is safer to health than epoxy resin.

Just don't expect your board to look like new after any of these treatments. Getting an even coating, especially with all the deck fittings, foam padding, etc. in place is impossible.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

In the end I bought some surfboard wax for the princely sum of £1. I'm assured (by Rich of Windy World) that it will work. It rubs on very easily, but I've yet to try it out on the water yet. It will look a bit messy though.
Thanks for the replies anyway.