GPS file conversion software

How to..., how not to..., & when (not) to

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

GPS file conversion software

Post by Ian Long »

Came across some free software to convert between GPS file formats.

Called Router Converter it is available from http://www.routeconverter.de/index_en.html. Initial impressions are very promising, particularly as it enables me to go straight from my SatMap output into Fugawi :-))
If found, please return to the pub.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

OK I surrender. :oops: How did you convert the files into Fugawi when the file format is not supported :?:

And have you found a clever way to convert Fugawi into Tracklogs or Multi Map.......

However, great find: the programme looks very promising
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Ah, did I mention my consultancy fees? ££££££££ :D
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Within Route Converter, I saved the file as a Magellan Explorist (*.trk) file.

Now comes the disclaimer....
Since posting the original URL, I have found problems importing some .gpx files into RouterConverter - a track seems to import fine, but a trail doesn't :???: I have since found another piece of software that read in a trail and exported a new gpx file that was compatible. http://benitools.info/itnconv.zip It is not as good as RouteConverter but may help.

Don't think I have finished the quest for the ultimate route conversion software, so am going to continue looking.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I dread to think how much this advice must be costing the Forum moderator.........:shock:

However, 'I feel your pain' in searching for the holy grail. I am finding that not only are there different file types, the version numbers also make the files incompatible.

If I wasn't so mean the GPSU utilty looks the most promisisng of the bunch. http://www.gpsu.co.uk Unfortunately the Freeware version is limited by file size.

And my next question is..... How can we link this thread to the one in the Places and Routes section?
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

NigelP wrote:And my next question is..... How can we link this thread to the one in the Places and Routes section?
You can't on this version of phpBB. What I've done is to move that post into this forum so at least both threads are now in the same forum.

On the next version of phpBB, there is a facility of merging topics (aka threads, aka posts). One day, I will find the time....
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Fugawi to .gpx

Post by MartinF »

Came across this today, which makes use of GPSBabel. Following the description, for the first time ever, I actually managed to successfully export a Fugawi track as a .gpx file. Not entirely straightforward, but it works.

The acid test was uploading the exported .gpx file to Strava where it was recognised as being a valid file. Hooray :P
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.