Local sites/routes for beginners

Info about where to crash. Also the place to post details of routes, GPS tracks, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Local sites/routes for beginners

Post by Graham_U »

OK I know I'm going to regret this but now I have the bike I suppose I better try to use it. Has anyone got any suggestions for places (and where I can find info on them) that are local that are not to testing for rider or bike. Remember I don't mind going up hill but will wimp out on any thing silly on the down hill. Bike is supposed to be a reasonable entry level standard, but won't take a hammering.

Also what sort of tool kit/spares do people take with them? Given the amount you lot spend on your bikes its worrying the amount of things that seem to break.

Also looking for somewhere to take Val which would have to be somewhere best defined as gentle. Both her and her bike will not be up to anything are all testing.
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

While not particularly local for you, Ashton Court is a great place with only gentle gradients and a whole range of trails. Most of them go through the woods around the edge of the Ashton Court estate.

Further still but very convenient for Neroli and I is the circuit round the edge of Black Down on the top of the Mendips - this is where a large portion of the Nomadic MTBers learnt to ride.

Closer to you, there is a farm that has set up a trail round the edge of his fields. It isn't the most interesting of rides but would be a good place to start - alas you have to pay to ride it, Spirthill Trail

Also good for you would be sections of the Ridgeway, you have a vast choice of trail to ride, most of which is wide and travelling along the ridge itself, although there are plenty of options to drop down of the ridge when you wish to get more adventerous.

Would be more than willing to provide a gentle introduction to any of these on an evening during the week.

With regard to spares - puncture repair kit, 2-3 spare inner tubes, Camel back with 2-3lt water, pump, first aid kit, map (alas rarely of the current location 8) ), compass, multi tool, SRAM speed link & chain tool if there isn't one on the multi tool. Torch during the winter
If found, please return to the pub.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I carry two sets of tools around: one very sensible set to fix most problems and then a second pack, added after our experience of being lost in Afan forest.

The basic set is water, spare tyre, instant patches, proper glued patches and sand paper, multi-tool (including tyre levers & chain breaker), two SRAM speed links, pump, money and mobile phone.

As we have ventured further afield, where a self rescue is the order of the day I added: GPS, rear mech hanger (highly recommended and proprietary to each bike frame), space blanket, compass, mini light, food, another inner tube, short length of duct tape, small medical kit, plastic ties and a patch for a blown out tyre. I have used them all except the light and the space blanket.

Also add a Camelback to carry it all!

There are some excellent rides around the Forest of Dean, including a delightful sculpture trail.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Agree with all of the above.

Add to all of that a range of different size cable ties, which are amazingly useful for all kinds of "mechanicals". Steve also carries a whistle!

Oh and at the moment a shock pump - at least until we get the new machines set up to our liking :wink:
Viv
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

personally I find a dog quite useful even though she makes a dreadful mess inside the camelback.
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Val
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Val »

Thanks for all the advice(?)

I'm feeling less and less sure about this mularkey the more I read. The amount of kit needed when you go out seems horrendous - luckily our forays out so far have been along bridleways within walking distance of home. I'm intrigued by the dog. The nearest we have to an equivalent is one of next door's cats and I'm not sure that they would be such good company. Do you rent her out Huw??
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Everything in proportion, Val: If you're not going to be venturing far from home, a pump and a few self-adhesive patches ought to be enough. A couple of tyre levers might be handy, too.

Trouble is, on a new bike, it's never set up quite right, and the time you find this is when you're out riding. And that's when you might need a few tools to change saddle position, alter shifter/brake lever positions and angles, etc. So a small multi-tool is highy recommended.

And if you're cycling as a couple - you don't both need to carry these things. One set between you is sufficent and spreads the burden.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

amazing

Post by dro »

To my astonishment Martin I completely agree with you.
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?