South west coast route

Info about where to crash. Also the place to post details of routes, GPS tracks, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

twitty
had a lesson
had a lesson

South west coast route

Post by twitty »

Hi does anybody know if the southwest coast path Minehead to poole is open to cycles,I was thinking of doing the route, If not is there an alternative route along the south west coast.
Thanks Dave.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Pretty much the entire coastal path around the UK is designated as footpath and - as such - is out of bounds to cyclists.

Add to that the many steps, stiles and some sandy stretches, and you'll probably really not want to do it by bike anyway - unless you really enjoy climbing with the bike over your shoulder!
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Hi

You could try the Sustrans routes I think route 51 " Culbone Way " goes SW from Minehead but unfortunately as Martin says the SWCP is off limits. :(

Have a look at the Sustrans website ( get Cycling section South West)

Paul
Onwards and upwards
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I think Regional route 51 goes W from Minehead, though there is a variety of routes. Essentially, You'll need to get to Barnstaple - everything seems to radiate outwards from there. Then there's the NCN3 that goes from Barnstaple down to Land's End. Unfortunately, there seem to be no Sustrans routes from there along the S coast.

Best overview I found is here.

Good luck.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.