Portland or indeed somewhere else entirely 10/11 Oct?

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Portland or indeed somewhere else entirely 10/11 Oct?

Post by rachael »

I know i should know better than to get excited looking at the weekend forecast on a Monday (and apologies here if i'm jinxing it for all of us) but Portland looks stonking this weekend!

I'm hoping to show with boyf and possibly friends in tow, probably just for Sunday unless Saturday's forecast gets worth offending people for...anyone else interested?

Rachael
Last edited by rachael on Wed Oct 06, 2010 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Rachael

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic so far as windsurfing is concerned - always good to see plenty of that and friendly encouragement to get us to join in :D . Hope you have sorted out your transport hiccups now.

Yes, agree that the winds for Portland are looking fantastic for the end of the week and over the weekend. Slight downer is that the tides are less than ideal:

http://www.bigsalty.co.uk/beach_guide.p ... 8&dc=tides

I vowed when I was last there with exceptionally low tides in the afternoon that I would not bother to make the trip for just a few hours sailing rather than potentially all day. I guess the thing to do would be to make sure you are there for a really early morning start. You can sail at low tide - but there is quite a walk. This doesn't sound too much of a problem but the reality of it was that it was a pain!! It was also a nuisance if you wanted to change gear, tweak gear, get back in for a coffee, etc etc. Plus you are fully aware when bombing around at speed that it is quite shallow and that you can come a cropper on the sandbanks .. as I experienced :shock: . So yes, it is possible to still sail there at low tides, but nowhere near as pleasant as the day we were all last down there with all day sailing and "high" low tides. If you are someone who is happy to stay out once out, and cope with your kit whatever the wind is doing and not need rests (rather than a faffer like me :lol: ) then maybe OK !!. At least those dreaded "teeth" should be clearly visible .. :lol:

I should think I'll be tempted if the winds stay as forecast. I can't do Sunday as committed to a B'day event (I hate committing in advance to other things!!) - so maybe Sat for me, or Friday even, but with the intention of getting there as early as possible in the morning.

Anyone know anywhere else (sensible comments please ie driveable from here!) that would work at the weekend with E winds?

Sue
Nature playing with windsurfers
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Maybe jumping ahead but perhaps somewhere in Wales is a better option if forcast stays the same - Newton? Portland looks so sad when the water disappears .. :cry: :lol:
Sue
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

If the tide is wrong at Portland, it will be right at Hamworthy (Poole).

We will be at a beer festival in Kent so won't be joining you.
If found, please return to the pub.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Thanks for the Hamworthy suggestion, Ian. You'll be ideally positioned in Kent for some E wind sailing - and looks beautifully sunny? Hope you plan some TOW too .. sure Axel would love another beach trip :D
Sue
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Having got enthusiastic for a Saturday sail early in the week for the last two weekends, only to be disappointed, so I'm not going to get my hopes two high at this stage. But at least this weekend I can make both days, and it does look very tempting.

Hamworthy could be on the agenda, I've not normally had a problem what ever the tide, I don't normally bother looking at it. Although there was one time a few years back when Ian went through his sail having caught his fin on something at low tide.
Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Having got enthusiastic for a Saturday sail early in the week for the last two weekends, only to be disappointed, so I'm not going to get my hopes two high at this stage. But at least this weekend I can make both days, and it does look very tempting.

Hamworthy could be on the agenda, I've not normally had a problem what ever the tide, I don't normally bother looking at it. Although there was one time a few years back when Ian went through his sail having caught his fin on something at low tide.
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Ooh, thanks for the tips, it would've been rubbish to get there and find Portland windful but sealess! Thinking about it there was quite a lot of sand when I went a fortnight ago and we got by, but this weekend's tide may be even lower, I don't know.

My car is thankfully fixed, or at least a lot less broken, so i'm happy to go anywhere with wind and water on Sunday at least, it would be fun to broaden my horizons past Llandegfedd, Axbridge and Portland if anyone will be around anywhere else - I'm open to ideas! Lets see how that forecast shapes up...

Rachael
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Hi everyone,
Hamworthy is sounding very tempting and promising! Will keep an eye on this thread as very tempted to go down on saturday! 8)

Mark
Welcome to the Surf
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

So against all odds the forecast still looks good for the weekend!

One friend has booked to stay in Weymouth, he's determined to find the sea at Portland however long the walk, Sat and Sun! The wind forecast seems strongest there.
Bf & I are planning a Sunday day trip, currently hedging bets between Poole and Portland, it would be fun to try Hamworthy if people will be around. Other friends are heading to Hayling.
What are you guys thinking?

Rachael
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Good news is that we have wind this weekend - and I'm sailing somewhere tomorrow as I can't make Sunday. So it looks like the options are Portland or Hamworthy, unless anyone knows anywhere else that will work?

Winds for Portland are fantastic, and as a proper E (rather than that pretend E (ie the SE) the other week!), should be some swell and little waves in the morning, but the lack of water from midday and all afternoon is not ideal. Heart says Portland, but head Hamworthy! I've not sailed at Hamworthy so not sure what it is like there in an E wind, plus it looks less strong than Portland. Ummm - dither, dither !! Perhaps the Hamworthy expert (that's you Graham !! :wink: :D ) have a view?

Anyway, what's anyone else doing tomorrow? Anyone keeping Rachael company on Sunday? :D

Sue
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Hi there! Well amazingly I have a pass out for Saturday and I intend to make the most of it! At Portland the tide will be very low so I would say 'don't go there'! Hamworthy will work well in an easterly, but it's just short chop (if you like that sort of thing). Alternatives with the possibility of waves are Overcombe and Sandbanks/Branksome. Overcombe can be gusty in an Easterly and I'm not sure what the car park situation is there now (do you know Adrian?). It's years since I sailed at Sandbanks and there are rocky groynes to be avoided, so I'm not sure where to go. Adrian usually gets the venue right so I might be guided by him - are you going on Sat??
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Hamworthy been OK in an Easterly last time I sailed it, although if you go too far the Island gets in the way. I was probably going to aim there on Sunday.

Anyone thought about the Knap? Its supposed to work in an Easterly, looks like decent wind 15 mph on xc tomorrow and Low tide at 14-45?
Graham
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

It's 13mph in Poole now, and 25mph at Portland. Similar wind strengths/ conditions expected tomorrow - maybe a tad stronger . So is Hamworthy a skunking possibility? I'm wondering whether it is just better to get to Portland as early as possible and have the morning there.

Graham - wondering if you have to sail the Knap after low tide given the wind direction, as wind is with tide when tide is going out. I believe that is the issue at Newton (.. so my source in Wales tells me) - and Newton is best sailed after low tide so as to not end up on the rocks to the right. Cold Knap is much wider beach of course. Maybe Kelvin can help ??
Jeremy
harness user
harness user

Saturday

Post by Jeremy »

It is something of a quandary but have come to the conclusion that a very early start is required for Portland a) it looks the windiest location according to xcweather b) it is a low tide but it usually only requires a walk to the channel c) the cafe is close and really quite good now d) there seemed to be d/s in the grassy rigging area last time I sailed Hamworthy e) I'm not very imaginative.....