oxwich sat 9th oct 2010

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin
surf god
surf god

oxwich sat 9th oct 2010

Post by kelvin »

write up later

:roll:

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Yippeee, piccies! Cheers Kelvin, and thanks for the tip off re Oxwich, in an easterly it's just like Weston only less brown. Felt at home straight away.

5.7/96L was just right for me all afternoon and I had a great time blasting up and down, with some jumps on the way out and waves to play on coming back in. Good to see Sue practising her backside smacks, Lord T getting to grip with the bumps and a surprise appearance from Graham. With quite a few of the BWA around there was a great buzz on the water, along with plenty of kiters who could have kept Adrian company.

So, a great day out and Oxwich has solved the problem of where to go in an easterly. :D :D :D
dro
surf god
surf god

wobbly

Post by dro »

this wave thing is a bit tricky !!!
Brings back memories of hours spent standing in shallow water in Newton,Port Eynon and many other venues wondering how the hell to get up on that bloody plank of wood (?plastic)

Anyway the standing up this time was ok as was the falling over when the wave hit me from the side.
BUT thanks to expert guidance from Sue ("try leaning back") and encouragement from everyone else ("stop pissing about and get on with it") I managed to get very very tired but at least a some of this was vertical and ON the water as opposed to IN the water.

I am embarrased to admit this but I rather enjoyed it and in fact might try it again (just back from the rugby club !!!!!)

L?T
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Cor!! What a fandabby day at Oxwich :D 8) :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :D 8) :lol:.

Top marks to Kelvin for getting us over there :good to go: :D . Thanks again Kelvin for stepping in last minute and saving "the Day" (ha ha ..actually that's quite funny!! :lol:. Sorry, laughing at my own joke here!). Really pleased Matt decided on this option over the S Coast too, otherwise I may not have made the trip!

In my excitement to get there, I was away fairly early and there just after 10.00.. a spot-on 2 hour trip (beat multimap planner by 10mins - ha! :D ), the last part a v scenic drive through the Gower lanes. Getting through Swansea must be a bit of a pain in the week, but was fine early on a Sunday morning, and last night.

I was the first windsurfer to arrive (a little disconcerting!), although there were already plenty of kiters around and out on the water. I was beginning to wonder whether Kelvin-et-crew had made a last minute decision to go elsewhere (.. maybe I was at the wrong place? :???: ), but fortunately the BWA gang soon turned up en-masse and were keen to get out and show how it was done, and critically what sail size to choose.

Seeing Kelvin was rigging his 5.8 (and knowing he liked to be well-powered up :shock: ), it was an easy decision to settle on my 4.7, with 85 litre and smallest wave fin. Matt arrived, and went for a leisurely walk along the beach to suss out the conditions, and precisely which kit to use ..

It's such a stunningly beautiful location - huge golden sandy sweeping bay, and stunning coastline, clean waters, nice well-behaved little waves and brilliant white surf, lots of starfish and shells, just acres of space and views. The E wind sailing conditions yesterday (and the walk in and out .. the only very, very slight downside on an otherwise perfect day!) were very similar to WSM . So all that time spent trying to get to grips with WSM has really helped, as the sailing did feel quite familiar. I was v nicely powered up the whole time - trying to avoid getting too much air over the steep bits on the way out (perhaps it's time to learn how to jump intentionally!), and enjoying "sort-of" playing with the waves on the way back in. Apparently I had unknowingly progressed to "double backside smacks" - a very advanced manoeuvre :D ! Loads of happy people out - windsurfers and kiters. Had to sail a little way out, upwind, to stay clear of the kiters .. and in particular away from one unruly green and black kite, which needed training, and must have been from the same batch as Adrian's!

It was good to see Lord T enjoying himself so much at his wave debut - sorry I forget the key tip, Lord T "avoid at all cost board being hit sideways-on by the white foamy stuff!!". I guess you soon worked that one out for yourself .. :lol:

It was a surprise to see Graham there - almost unrecognisable out of his shorty. There was a rumour around the beach (..started by Matt, I believe :wink: ) that Keith had turned up too - just turned to be an imposter Keith looke-likie, who looked like Keith from a distance.

Great thing too about the place is the all-day sailing, whatever the tide state. So eventually had to stop when just too tired and making too many silly mistakes. Apparently SE (and NW directions) work well too.

Stayed around until just after 6.00 with Matt and Graham, and then set off home following Matt (with his sat nav), which seemed the easiest way to not get lost on the peninsular. Home in 1 hr 52 mins .

Extremely achy all-over already today, but very happy . I realise I had not sailed for 3 weeks, plus I'm sure sailing in bumpy stuff works all muscles you don't even know about.

Absolutely great day out to new spot, and a quicker drive than to Portland. Top loos too, Kelvin .. :D

Now better sort my sandy gear out ... ouch, that involves using arms!

Sue :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Sue on Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nature playing with windsurfers
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Oh [expletive deleted]! It looks like I should have joined you guys at Oxwich. I'm afraid I got skunked at Overcombe. I was late getting going and by the time I got on the water (2pm) the wind was fading. I had a short wobble out and back (5m sail/85l waveboard). Later it seemed to pick up again and two went out on biggish kit, and so I went out again on the biggest I'd brought (5.7m/93l) only for the wind to disappear again and was faced with a longish swim/drift back to shore and the walk of shame back to the carpark. Gutted!
Pity because the conditions were great when I arrived with good waves.
Oxwich sounds a good place - strange because I don't think the Nomads have been there before. I must partly blame the other half - she's from the 'sunny side' and when I said they're going to Oxwich, she said oh it takes ages to get there! Oh well, there's always next time! Need a good WSM session to erase the memories of yesterday. :(
Glad you had a good time anyway - fortune favours the brave!
Sue
surf god
surf god

Re: wobbly

Post by Sue »

dro wrote: I ... admit ... I rather enjoyed it and in fact might try it again
L?T
LT, you do realise that if you carry on with this adventurous streak that you are in grave danger of having to change your name soon .. ! :D

Sue
dro
surf god
surf god

rugby club

Post by dro »

Please note that last entry was on my return from the rugby club with it's many magic potions.
The effects of the potions have now worn off and I realise the foolishness of my entry

Of course I did not enjoy it and I was only there because of pressure from Lady T.
As to the future, the deck chair and lager loom large

By the way a name change is interesting but Earl or Baron Timid just does not have the same ring to it.
But thanks for the suggestion

Lt

P.S.
King Timid seems o.k.
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Yes .. "KT" may have the right ring to it :lol: :lol:

May not be very regal to call Queen T "QT" in public, though!! :lol:

Perhaps you had better stick with LT .. probably preferable to "BT" and "ET's gone home :shock: " too ... !!

Sue :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Sue on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:07, edited 2 times in total.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Don't worry Al, it was horrible, a bit like WSM lite without the mud, but much prettier even if the sun never made it to our side of the bay :)

Certainly not a day to arrive late, I had though about Llandegfedd but when I phone it was only F2, had wondered about the Knap but it was so gloomy over the bridge with no wind what so ever so finally committed to the longer drive. Left home a little before 10, got to the outskirts of Swansea just after 11-30 but didn't get there until 12-30 :x

I think I missed the best of the Wind, it was nothing like the 20+mph with 38 mph gust predicted. Based on Kelvin's advice (although I didn't realise it was him at the time) I rigged up the Kombat with a 6M, but ever as I was walking to the beach he suggested I might want more. He was right. Initially struggled to get up, but after a while I got the hang of it. However getting going was still difficult as the waves were closely space and like the marginal wind were dead on-shore. I hate those conditions :(

However in the gust it went well, but I struggled as far out as I wanted, and turning was a disaster (only 1 dry gybe all day) although I noted many better folks also spending significant turn time in the water, so didn't feel too bad. Some of the runs across the bay were very good, and even I was doing some strange things on the waves :shock:

As it was a long walk to the water I went for the long session, and spent about 3 hours out there before deciding to called time and joined the others on land.

To get over the shock of such a day I spent about pleasant day on the much more sensible Rocket/7.5 combo at Hamworthy yesterday, although with the wind channelled round the island the channel had some decent lumps in it.

The Wind was a bit up and down and again not the 15 gusting 25 mph forecast. But the Sun was out all day and I even got back to Shortie windsurfing. It was the biggest tide I've ever seen there, even the beach had disappeared at one point, and during the lulls we were definitely going faster side-ways, but as soon as the wind picked up again that effect was minimised. I also managed to share half of Oxwich beach as I repacked the car to go home.
Graham
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

..yes, don't worry Al , you wouldn't have liked it !

http://winsurfing.co.uk/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4605

Sue :D
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I'd forgotten about all those
40 fings with strings
they sure got in the way. :evil:
Graham
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Al,

You should have known that if I was not there the harbour would be better 8)

Sometimes Overcombe just does not work and it is always worth the drive to the harbour when that happens eevn on a rubbish tide as at least you can sail even if you have to walk.

Cheers

Adrian