Portland Sun 14th

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Justin
surf god
surf god

Portland Sun 14th

Post by Justin »

Forecast looking very good for Sunday's Away Day :D .
If your planning on coming to the pub Thursday....the planned venue has closed :shock: ! The Post Office Tavern, Westbury-on-Trym has been suggested as a alternative, sounds good to me. See you there.
Last edited by Justin on Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I can not make Sunday. Anyone got any plans for Saturday, the forecast seem to have been changing all week.

Looks nice condition out of the office window right now, it only this work thing didn't get in the way.
Graham
Justin
surf god
surf god

Saturday

Post by Justin »

On present forecast considering Newton, Porthcawl Saturday pm - falling neapy tide could be good if enough wind.
WSM an option, but early high tide (11am-ish) so might not be good unless properly windy.
Watching the forecast......
dro
surf god
surf god

despair

Post by dro »

failed to get advice on bike forum so decided to try elswhere!

i.e. here

Lady T has decided in her wisdom and generosity to buy me a new bike for xmas and byrfday.
Personally I am very happy with Martin's reject which has just had a service and seems to be ticking along nicely.

However Lady t has spoken .

I have ridden the newer versions of the Garry fisher hoo kee coo kee or whatever it's called and rather like it so tempted to buy one

BUT dear friends ,fans and general hangers on I would love to have your "expert" opinions regarding the choice of my new pressie
Around the £800 to £1K, hardtailed

I realise it is a bit down market for most of you but I am sure you know someone who swims at this sort of level and can pick their brains.

Sorry Martin your reject and I are still in a very close and stable relationship BUT directive from MD of Timid and sons.

We must part

LT
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Good turnout at the Post Office Tavern last night:

- Bob;
- new Nomad Nic (despite a self-proclaimed "novice" status, had been sailing "up north" at West Kirby yesterday in 30knts of wind, and was off to Portland today!);
- Rob (took the Beginner to Winner DVD home - promising to digest this fully by Sunday and provide us all with "top tips" :wink: );
- Ian (with a magically fully-healed hand, fit for sailing), and Julie;
- Keith (proud owner of a new white van);
- Justin and Lorraine;
- Mike and Pierette;
- Ian and Neroli (Axel- less .. who is poorly. Get well soon Axel :) );
- Martin (despite saying he couldn't make it, just couldn't stay away);
- Tony Lowe;
- and me.

(Hope I haven't left anyone out ...?)

After hearing scary tales of things that can go wrong at WSM (ie from Bob and Tony Lowe!), we were hoping that Matt was not still out on the water in yesterday's gales ... !!

Consensus was that plenty of people were keen to get to Portland on Sunday - but the forecasts were yoyo-ing somewhat!

Several wanted to get out on Saturday too - either an early sail at WSM or Newton.

So .. in true Nomad style, no definite decisions yet! Watch the forum!

Sue :D

(Oi - what's this bike post thing doing over here .. :shock: :lol: . Stick to windsurfing Lord T- it's much safer!! How about a shiny new red board instead ? :D )
Last edited by Sue on Fri Nov 12, 2010 21:17, edited 2 times in total.
Nature playing with windsurfers
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Just looked at XC weather ... Sunday's forecast for Portland just gets worse and worse :(

Best wind does look to be tomorrow now (for Portland or Newton?) - or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

(not that I trust XC weather - just done an outdoor job on the basis of XC weather saying dry all day, and now it's raining heavily!)

Sue
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Just looked at a few forecasts and I've no idea where is good for sailing - either Sat or Sunday at the moment! :???:

Looking to me like a stay at home as not sufficiently windy enough ..

What does anyone else think ????????????

Sue
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Thanks for all your concern but I can confirm I did survive yesterday's gales. See report elsewhere. Looks like wait and see for weekend, currently Satuday looks slightly better with sun and a westerly, so maybe a slim chance of a WSM hat trick for me. Sunday looks like a day for alternative activities. :(
GregB
novice
novice

Post by GregB »

Hi guys

Is anybody going tomorrow to Portland?

I am not sure if conditions are good enough but I wish to try.

Greg
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Greg
I can't speak for everyone else but I would have thought it unlikely that anyone is going to Portland tomorrow. I know Sunday was favourite with most - but given the forecasts (unless it changes) probably unlikely you'll have Nomadic company tomorrow! I may be wrong though..

Hi Matt
Pleased you had a good couple of days. May have joined you this morning if I had known you were going!!
I'll keep an eye on WSM for tomorrow - but I'm not holding my breath! Appears SW and light - hope (again) I'm wrong on this! J&L were keen on WSM (plus Martin and Tony) if there were to be wind.

Sue
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Sat weather - checking out lots of forecasts for a straw to clutch!

Currently some wind at Portland, but most forecasts seem to have it dropping during the day, plus no inshore waters red-line round that part of the coast! To confuse matters, the BBC forecast bucks the trend by showing some wind all day. Not convinced it is worth the drive on the off-chance.

Inshore waters red line round WSM and Newton - but doesn't appear to be masses of wind at the moment plus most forecasts seem to show it dropping as the morning progresses. BBC is more optimistic re wind for Porthcawl,

So not looking too promising for today? Hope to be persuaded otherwise!

Sue
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

... looks like I was too early for the BBC forecasts this morning! They have all been downgraded now!

Some wind showing for Portland tomorrow - but bloomin chilly .. :(

Sue
Justin
surf god
surf god

Post by Justin »

Today not looking good :cry: .
Sunday pm now looking promising for planing wind (W) at Portland, so Away Day could still be on :) .
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

The flags are sticking out on the Burnham webcam and it could build a bit more in the sunshine, so Weston could still be worth a gamble today. But be prepared for a skunking......If I was closer I'd take a look.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli, Axel & I are still hoping to make Portland on Sunday but will be watching the forecast.
If found, please return to the pub.