Sun 12 June

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Sun 12 June

Post by rachael »

Anyone doing South Coast Sunday? Looks rainy but funky!
I was thinking Portland, a friend suggested Hayling Island, any of you guys heading out anywhere fun?
Rachael

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

just looked on XC and Portland looks a bit manic, all pink numbers in the high 20s. I'm not sure I fancy the open sea off Hayling in those conditions, even though its a bit milder the further east. Also Hayling has some impact of the tide to considered. I suspect I will be off to Hamworthy, 18 to 21 mph should be more than enough. But will be interested in where others are going.
Graham

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I'd been thinking of Oxwich as a possibility for the SE winds forecast but at the mo I don't fancy a long drive anywhere for a session in the heavy rain predicted. :(

rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Well the wind and rain still look full on tomorrow, I'm going to join my friend at Hayling but may end up spectating if the waves are too much for me - at least it's onshore wind so fingers crossed I should get washed up in the right place! :)

Graham - I swear I will check out Hamworthy one of these days too! Have a good day if you go.

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

it looks like there might be less rain the further east. so Hayling might be a reasonable option. might be tempted to head that way, but suspect the default navigation to Hamworthy might kick in.
Graham

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Hamworthy it was, V.Windy, v. wet, and the most bumpy I've ever seen it there.

Started on the Kombat97 with 5.5, somewhat over powered and struggled to see waves with the amount of rain, but still quite fun although turning was not very successful. I change down to a 5M after about 2 hours, but unfortunately by then the wind had picked up so very similar.

So after another hour of so, and getting knackered put up my 4.2. This was a first on two counts, first time I've ever used it after 6 years, and the first time I've ever changes sails 3 times, at least when I have to rig them. Whilst very twitchy, it was just about right in the gusts, but any slight drop and the combination with the board and the waves meant it was very uncomfortable and likely result in getting wet. It reminded me why I don't like sailing with small sails. :oops:
Graham

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Look on the bright side (& I don't mean over towards Wales!) - in between your rig recovery practise, sailing with too small a sail will have helped you learn to stay on the plane while underpowered - moving your weight in and outboard, mast foot pressure and picking the smoothest path over the waves, using the gusts etc etc. All very frustrating, but very, very good practise :wink:.
If found, please return to the pub.

rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Well Graham it sounds like you did better than me! We went over to Hayling, it was forecast 18 knots but turned out about double that! :o I'd borrowed a 5.2 which was waay too big, my friend took his 4m and lent me his 4.5 which I rigged up but he was totally powered up, jumping over boom height, and I didn't even bother trying to get off the beach on 4.5 and 122l board! :oops: I briefly tried his 4m and 88l but the weather was a bit full on for an introduction to wavesailing! A kind chap did offer to lend me a 3.3 sail which would have been about right but I was worried I might go through it in those conditions!

I still had a great afternoon spectating and taking photos, watched some great jumps and waveriding, the whole place was really buzzing with about 70 windsurfers out including at least two ladies (go girls!), also some kites and a good few folk in the pub afterwards as well, it was really nice to see a UK spot so busy.

It was about as quick as Portland to drive so I think I'll be back to Hayling again, especially as I've just bought a fin off ebay so the wave board can come next time! :D

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Well I did warn you Rachael. It would have been a bit rough but you would have survived at Hamworth on the 4.5.

As for Hayling, we had an official trip there a couple of years back, its the only time I've sailed their, it was the Kombat's first wetting. I think only Ian, Neroli and I turned up and we had a great day, 6/6.5 weather/Sun
if I remember correctly. From where I live in Wilts, I found its under 2 hours by motorway but a lot more cross country.
Graham

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I headed down to weymouth expecting to sail at Overcombe but it was dead on shore on a rising tide and looked pretty ugly - very big and nothing on the inside so as lacking in match practice decided to sail Portland. Arrived to see only 4 or 5 sailors out all clearly overpowered :lol: My anemometer said 4.7 weather but gusting 4.0 so as the forecast was for 50mph gusts later I decided to go with 4.0 and expect to get caught in a few lulls. By the time I was ready to go out someone else took a wind reading and it was a solid 32knots so 4.0 was a good call :lol: Lots of big chop and a 3 foot rolling swell closely spaced over a snad bar I never knew existed out by the post - I could sail straight off the beach but stand by the post :!: Most folk were only getting 100 yards off the beach before exploding with just 2 off us getting mid harbour. Gybing was challenging but fun - head up and lean back to slow down before bearing away into the turn off the swell - down wind clew first over the next swell line then flip the rig and exit planning on the down slop of that swell :lol: Yep breaks every rule but kept me dry more often then wet. Mean wind speed stayed at 32knots with gusts of 42/43 knots so not short of powere - a couple of years since my 4.0 came out to play.

A good session on the 'light' side

Graham - from Swindon I can get to Hillhead mutch faster than Poole M4 A34 with Hayling about equal.

Adrian

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

For those who did not make it here is a story to make you laugh - A windsurfer a Portland came off the water after an epic 4.0 session totally shattered - temp only 12 degrees and still raining - he keeps his key in one of those locks that go on your towing eye or handle - he enters his combination and takes it off the door handle so he clearly had the right combo - but cannot open the casing - after much faffing and getting cold he can still open and shut the lock but not the case so a quick smack with a rock from the back should work - or it could break a small pin used to change the combination :oops: Borrowed hacksaws show the value and strength of the lock before an hour later a combination of hammer and screw driver assualt breaks in :lol: I guess this was only possible as it was actually unlocked but the moral is if you use one of these and it is a bit sticky do'nt put your car key in unless it is a very nice day :???:

To protect any embarressment the identity of this poor nomad will remain a secret.

PS I have junked the piece of Aldi/lidl **** and will get a masterlock

Adrian

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

ended up at Llangenith
loada wind -little guys and gals on 4m ....big uns on 4.7m .
But was flat as a pancake in the cross off wind with no swell what so ever !

And yes it rained constantly .................
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Lucky you posted your Monday sail or the 'sunny side' reputation would be in tatters 8)

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Adrian, I find a copy non-electronic key on an old lace round my neck (under the wetsuit) solves the key problem. No need for locks or any other expensive, stuff, although the spare key did cost me £60 when I first got the car.

Ian, nice theory, just forgot the only reason I was on that small sail was I'd been on the water for over 3 hours and didn't have enough strength left for anything else, I was at the stage where I would normally go home as I was making too many mistakes anyway. There were main a time when falling in was just the easy option.
Graham