Knap Sun 19th.June

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Knap Sun 19th.June

Post by Graham_U »

Picking up from the other thread, predictions looking good for the magic stones at the Knap on the wetside, so I'm thinking of trying a session on the Severn without the Nesquick effect :???:

Low tide just before 4 and sun predicted so looks good for an afternoon session, to my naive eyes. For those that have not been before, take some shoes that can be left of the beach as climbing those stones can hurt.

Rachael it could be a good chance to give that Kode a run, and make the rest of us jealous, except Sue who will think it is far too big :wink:
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

I am highly confused about tomorrow but keen to give the Kode a wetting. I don't know how the magic stones work, the forecast isn't enormous for Knap but do I need to ignore that?

Some friends have shown vague interest in S. Coast so that is also an option, as ever Portland looks best even with low tide in afternoon.

Would be interested to hear any potential plans?

Rach
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Rachael

This forcast is promising:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2071

... in which case you may want to put that smaller sail in the car!

It's a bit like WSM and Axbridge - if sunshine and W or SW wind then there should be more wind than forecast. Call them the magic stones as they work their magic to deliver stronger wind than forecast, plus also to bend the wind from W to SW (desirable!). That's what I understand anyway.

I should think I'll go along tomorrow - v tired now, so will take stock in the morning.

Hi Graham - Big Salty says low tide at 16.38. Can't remember how far past high tide we can get on the water. Maybe 1.00pm ish - or bit before??

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

hi sue, Admiralty Easy tide sat 15-59 if you add the hour for BST:

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/Ea ... onLength=7

Same on BBC etc. If I remember the key is to check what is happening after low tide. I've had a good extension to a session when I was the only one on the water and sailed for the best part of an hour past low tide as I was well powered and kept to the inside. The main thing to keep an eye on is how much you are drifting East with the current. If you can not stay up wind, its time to give up. What I've never worked out is how early we can get on the water.

If the forecast stays as it is at the moment I'm planning to head of late morning to get there early afternoon. Current BBC looked good to my naive view:

1000 14 °C W 16 mph 30 mph Very Good
1300 15 °C W 19 mph 35 mph Very Good
1600 15 °C W 18 mph 33 mph Very Good
1900 14 °C W 13 mph 24 mph Very Good
Graham
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Very tired and achy after yesterday's session! Wind picking up already and I have a feeling it's going to blow it's socks off at the Knap - and I won't have a small enough sail!!

Current thinking is that I may just go to Axbridge instead (again) - good wind forecast and full sunshine (.. but a few boats too, today!)

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

Knap be fine sue high tide is 10am, wind will swing more sw and pick up to around 18. Will stay flat until low water giving good blasting . 5.3 for me be just about enough , little ins like karina would be on 4.7 she around 55 kg . Hope that helps
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Well I have two friends sailing at Esso Beach (Hayling) midday but I don't think I can face the drive! Somewhere closer sounds apppealing. Up for Knapp or Axbridge - new spot & Kode-christening vs comfortingly familiar with dinghies to torment - either works for me! :D
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

The car is packed, both boards (the Rockets normally does well at the Knap and a spare board give you somewhere to leave the mountain climbing shoes) and sails from 4.2 to 7.5 (just in case). Plan to head over to the Knap before lunch. From previous post J&L were planning to go there.
Graham
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Right, come on then Sue shall we keep Graham company and save the last two Axbridge visits for dinghy-free days? (I am feeling marginally less broken from yesterday now after a hot shower and an extra hour in bed!)
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Rachael
Am totally undecided ...still! Realise I have a cold (or something!) coming on, which is why I'm feeling like this, and no get up and go. Which is why Axbridge seems the easier option!
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

...where are you off to Simon? I see you "lurking" :wink:

Sue
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

...shall we all do Knap then? Fed up being indecisive. Need to get skates on ... have loaded up, but may unload the largest stuff!

Sue
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Aww, I had that cold thing last weekend, it does suck. But if you are going to brave it and head out regardless, might as well be on a nice sunny beach where you can always just drink soup from a flask and spectate a lot rather than paying to get in at Axbridge and feeling you have to get your money's worth?

I have packed everything except the board so far, think I'm going for Kode, Knapp and camera, then I can just take photos if it's too much for me!

:)
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Hey you beat me to it Sue! Wicked, see you there.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

...it's OK Rachael - not changed my mind!! About to head off now to Knap. See you later