Hamworthy Club Trip on Sunday 11th.May

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Hamworthy Club Trip on Sunday 11th.May

Post by Graham_U »

So who is planning to head down to Hamworthy on Sunday for the club trip? Weather looks to have improved. Sunny intervals with wind from the West in the mid 20 mph. so it should be a good one for those that make it. Whilst a little stiff after yesterday I plan to be there, hopefully on the right size sail.

Points to note(as I never got to send Richard an update:
- Free Car Parking, Loos and Cafe on site with lovely views of Brownsea Island and Purbeck Hills. Although Cafe was closed yesterday. 50m of grass to the beach to rig up on. But can be busy on good days, certainly worth an early start especially with dog walkers and holiday makers. If full a space will normally free up as dog walkers come and go. Although apparently tomorrow is national children day and some one suggested that the little dears should be taken to the park, although I could not find anything formal organised.
- Currently there are only about half the normal yachts moored off shore so Wind and Chop gets to the inside more than usual.
- The tides look like there will be enough water all day for most of the harbour, although over the other side you can often find you are only in about 18 inches with mud underneath. On the inside of the Mooring there will significant time when you will probably be able to stand a far way out so good for practice, but keep an eye on the current as the tide goes out. Given the wind and tides, not a day for the 60 cm fin!
- If out in the harbour it can get confused as the where you came from, so head for the big industrial Chimney on the sky line which will take you up wind until you can see the gap in the beach huts where the launch area is.
- The step down to the beach is bigger than normal due to the winter storms washing away some sand so be careful.
- Anybody that travels through Shaftsbury/Blandford should note that Melbury Abbas back road is closed so you have to take the windy A350 which is much slower, especially when stuck behind a HGV like I was yesterday.
Graham
nicwoody
had a lesson
had a lesson

Re: Hamworthy Club Trip on Sunday 11th.May

Post by nicwoody »

I'm hoping to be there...
Regards,
Nic Wood

ps is there a windsurfing shop nearby, or can someone lend me a UJ, as I still haven't replaced the one I broke at the Portland session 3 weeks ago!!!
Novice Nic
trelek2
complete beginner

Post by trelek2 »

If anyone is driving from Bristol and has free spaces in their car let me know, a friend I was supposed to be going with today has injured his leg.
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

'fraid I'm not planning on going. Hurting in rather a lot of places after Axbridge today. Some amazing gusts.
No matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

It'll be Weston for me again tomorrow, if I can persuade the body to move again. At the Thursday social Mike and Martin also said they were planning to go to WSM for bit of training in the lumpy stuff.
Should've been here yesterday.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I think there are 3 or more windsurfing shops in Poole: Poole Harbour, H2O and one other. I always need to look them up to remember where they are.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=winds ... hops+poole
Graham
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Morning Graham, thanks for posting the notes above, have a good trip, the wind is certainly working in our neck of the woods at the mo, cheers, Richard
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Well unless I missed someone, the nomads trip didn't happen and was replaced by a one-off former Lucent Windsurfing Club session as I only met Neil Bass, who was actually the reason I joined the Nomads 10 years ago.

I got there early for me, at about a bit before 10, and their was only one other Windsurfer rigging up. The wind was blowing but a bit up an down and less than forecast. I had only taken the Kombat which so board was an easy choice, but sail was a classic faff. I waited to see how the other guy got on with a 5.7 and he struggled so I started rigging up my 6.5, but by the time the kit was ready the wind had really picked up, so then rigged the mouse vented 5.7 again (I've used this sail more since I offered it for sale than I had in the years I had before). First run was a little under powered, but the wind was filling in and it soon became a good match then over powered, and really hanging on in the gusts, especially in the channel where the cross chop was a challenge. So the 6.5 spent a dry day pegged down behind the beach huts

Neil arrived later for his first session of the year. He rigged his old Bic Velocy with a 6m, after borrowing my spare UJ. But soon changed down to a 5.3 as by this time 6M was way too much, actually I should have followed suit but stuck with the 5.7. With Neil's Velocy it was still a bit of a struggle so he spent his time inside the yachts where it was flatter and with the low tide it did mean that you could stand in much of the water out to the yachts. Actually Ian H would have felt at home, as well as Neil's BIC, there was a guy who turned up later with a Bright Green Bee. :D

During the day more locals turned although there was plenty of room for everyone. Neil pack in mid afternoon and I stayed out until about 4 when a squall came through and killed the wind totally. Luckily I had just returned from the other side of the Harbour, but I passed some poor guy on the way back who was out their on a wave board when the wind died, and had an uncomfortable wobble for over a mile. However half hour later while I had pack up the wind was back and as strong as before.

The good news for the day is that there were no Mary Poppins fans until after I had packed up, which was strange as whilst it was windy, it was less than Friday and the water was little flatter. According to my GPS watch I managed 27.8 mph at one stage out in the channel, although I do struggle to remember to switch it on and off so it only tracked about half my time on the water, see below.
HW Session.JPG
It was a good day, the wind had a bit of a chill to it, but there was still plenty of sun, and only a couple of rain showers. It was well worth the trip, with something like 4 hours on the water. But it was a real shame no other Nomads turned up. If people don't turn up for condition like these then is it worth planning trips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graham
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Pleased you had a good sail, Graham. Sorry I didn't make it - have been away for a week, escaping from Bristol Water who are digging the road up right outside my house, replacing water pipes. They are still here - I'm hoping they'll finish before the next round of winds so that I can get my car somewhere near the house to load up :roll:

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

If I had turne up you would have had a 'Mary Poppins' all day :D However I have no permit for Poole harbour and you can only get an annual permit so not worth it for a day .

It will probably always be a low turnout if their is a tide and wind at Weston as it is so much closer and quicker for most people.

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Sorry Graham I had to work that weekend.
Glad you got out though.
Sounds like the conditions may have been a bit much for me.
I do like Hamworthy though.

Phil