WSM this PM - 13 May?

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

WSM this PM - 13 May?

Post by Graham_U »

WSM13-5Capture.JPG
Looks like a possible last sail before the wind disappears if anyone is interested, HT 6-50pm.

Anyone know how to make these attachments bigger?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: WSM this PM - 13 May?

Post by Graham_U »

I decided to give it a go, but driving down the signs were bad from the start. Initially forgot my phone and wallet with the car fuel marginal. Then somewhere passed Bath I realised I'd left my boots still dry at home. It was cloudy, there were frequent rain showers and the wind turbines at Portbury were not moving at all! Some slight signs of wind as I got closer to WSM, but as I got to the M5 turn-off the heavens opened. Still raining when I got to the beach and was only car in the car park, but there was a little wind and signs of blue sky coming my way. Once the rains stopped the wind picked up, and with the amount on blue sky coming my way I decided on my default combo this season Kombat (only board in the car) and the mouse vented Storm 5.7 special (am I turning into Justin with this option? wish I could sail as well).

Rigged quickly and for half an hour or more I had the whole beach and sea to myself which was a bit weird. As it was I was the only windsurfer out, and their were only a handful of Mary Poppins fans who joined me later. The combo was just about right, although it seemed strange not to be overpowered as with most other trips this year. There was the usual wind hole towards the pier that seems slight worst than usual and so a few turns were ruined by getting becalmed

This was my first proper session sailing bare footed, and whilst I have wimpy feet with poor circulation, it was more the wind chill when going, than the water that was giving me cold feet. I was amazed by how little grip I had compared with normal, and given the cold feet I had less feel that is supposed to to be the advantage. I also found that the tops of my feet were getting sore on the footstraps, although this was not helped as I had left the straps loose, which also meant I didn't try too many jumps. This has done nothing to convince me of any advantage of bare feet.

After an hour or so I stopped for a short rest as the wind had dropped during a cloudy period. After ten minutes or so the sky had clear, but the washing machine was just starting on spin cycle. The wind was still a bit iffy and combined with lack of grip and on-setting tiredness I struggled to get out. But I was determined to get one more run in, before calling it a day, and the wind filled in again which gave me enough power to get through the shore-break.

By this time everything was aching so after a good hour and a half on the water, and a little feeling of success, I called it a day. Although conditions were good up to the time I left an hour later, and was surprised not to see anyone else trying a gentler session after the manic conditions of the last week. There is a lot to be said for being in control, max speed of 20.9 mph was definitely more civilised.
WSM 1305Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graham