Portland

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Portland

Post by Mark Gregory »

I'm thinking of going to Portland tomorrow, surprise no Nomads have mentioned it on the Forum as it's gonna be sunny and windy tomorrow.
Anyone else thinking of going, or any other sailing plans?
Welcome to the Surf
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Re: Portland

Post by PhilipS »

Going to have a look at the new improved Llangdegfedd tomorrow afternoon.

Phil and Ruth
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Cool _ Enjoy and I will look forward to the review on the improved place :D
Welcome to the Surf
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Spoke to Weather Guru Sue, who has give advice on tides down at Portland, I should know this but too lazy to learn Ha Ha, Looks like Hamworthy could be the best option?
Any Takers?

From Sue:
The tides are really poor though - basically the plug will have been pulled out, so it will be a very long walk out to the water.
Hamworthy may be better?
Have fun if you get there. Looks sunny and windy :)
Sue
Welcome to the Surf
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Morning Phil, yes be good to hear how the updates have worked out, enjoy, "Hoppy*
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Sorry but was too busy on Friday to post, and made a fairly early start yesterday. Had a good day at Hamworthy yesterday for my first outing of the year. Lots of rest between long runs as windsurfing fitness is just about non-existent. Struggling today as the body is now reminding me how go a all round body workout windsurfing is.
The Wind in the morning was cold and I was a little over powered on my 5.7, Alf Tidey was going well on his 5.4, Easterly works well at Hamworthy although the Island does leave a big hole if you go too far. Wind dropped off about 1 and a few changed up but I had lunch.
The wind filled in after lunch for a while, then a big drop while a number of us were out in the channel, I was very glad I took my Rocket 115 as I was rusty and not the Kombat97 that would have been more suited to the condition up to then, even though the flat hull of the old (2005) Rocket jumps well, and its a lot lighter than my newer (2008) old rocket 125. Some other were left in the water but I managed to wobble back.
After about 20 mins it picked up again with a bit more south in it which made for some good runs out to the channel and back. Unfortunately by about 3 someone had pulled the plug big time and the water was flooding out of the harbour and I kept going for a bit as the wind was probably the most consistent, but then followed most others and soon packed up.
A bit after 4 we were surveying the scene with a post sail coffee and the water had gone almost out to the moorings. A poor phone shot below (not too bad given that the sun had blanked the phone screen), if you zoom in it shows a number of large lumps that are potential fin damage for those sailing on the inside when the tide is low.

Graham