Booms

Got anything to say about gear? Here's the place

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Booms

Post by Graham_U »

From the lack of replies to my earlier post on GPS, I'm not sure if anyone reads these sections, but I'll give it a go, as this board seems to be in a coma this week.

I'm now the proud owner of a new (v.cheap) Carbon 162cm Boom to replace my Tushy 160 that broke two weeks ago. From reading about various forums its clear that Adrian hit a key issues in the WSM trip report, ie. how far to use the extension. Both these booms are more than capable of covering my main sail range 4.7(164cm) to 7.5 (216). But as most of my sailing is done on 6M+ 193+ it seems I need an additional bigger boom to avoid doing the same thing to my new boom, as I assume using it with 54cm extn is going to weaken it. Which leaves me with 2 questions:

1. What range? Most seem to start at 180 which is only 18 more than my new boom and still 36cm short of the 7.5M which is my most used sail. There are a few 185 or 190s but most seem to step up to 200 which would only fit my 6.5 and 7.5, and still need the new boom extended to 31cm. for my 6M which gets a lot of use on the Kombat. Is 30+cm too far for regular use?

2. Also what type? Not sure I can stretch to a second Carbon unless I can find a good deal, but most deals seem to be on the smaller ranges.I seen some deals on older North Silver HD which has some special type of Alloy treatment, X6 which has Carbon back ends, or Siverne Silverline, but are these going to last significantly longer than a standard like the Tushy boom that can be half the price.

The North Silver has a 2 year warrantee which seems the best I've seen, but is a 180-230. Are any of these going to last significantly longer than a standard like the Tushy boom that can be half the price. Anybody care to offer some advice or affordable suggestions?
Graham
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: Booms

Post by Graham_U »

Just for the record and to keep the forum alive, I thought I'd update on the Boom Story. Yesterday I took ownership of a nice shiny new North Silver HD 180-230 after some delays in the ordering. However I did get a good deal so if this last for the 2 years its guaranteed for it will be worth it. Its got some fangled boom clamp arrangement that I'm still trying to understand, and the arms are bigger than my old pro-limit 204-252 boom that came with my original BIC 7.8 :shock: So it will be a struggle to get in the back of the car, and it stills means I'll need it at 36cm extn for my current 7.5 T3, but hopefully that won't have the same impact as using 56cm extn on the old Tush 160-220 boom.

Due to the start of the rugby season and other distraction I've not been out since the middle of Aug when I broke the old Tushy boom, even though I've had the 162 Predator Carbon boom waiting to get wet. In recent years I've struggled to get out after Sept, but it looks like I might have a bit more time on my hands soon and I need to have a go with my new toys before next spring.
Graham