sat 25th

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin
surf god
surf god

sat 25th

Post by kelvin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 20:56

ohh yes newton wax [xx(]
kicked tyres for good few hrs but nothing [:(]
1.30 was vote time [:0]
me and delboy votes for horton and leaves
everboys else votes for home [8)]

or so I thought , rav rings to say on his way , followed my everybody else [:)]
so we hit horton ,
frigging hell should have moved earlier [V]
twas 5m and waveboards weather
del was ok 4.7m and 69l chango [:D]
waves where bit onshore , but a nice swell on outside for some big long jumps.
who turned up [?] well there was a lost Nomad Adrian ready there ?
me,nobby,rav,delboy,little air ,swansea dan,dave .... nearly ful strenth squad .
wind went bit mental towards end where the 5.2m ezzy was way to much [:0]
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:31

Looks like it was all happening out west. This is my story....

Got to Weston for 2pm to find NigelP wandering the beach wondering what to rig, one board and one kite already out on the still distant water. A few more turned up including IanK to join the pfaffing party. Most settled on 6.5-7 and floaty 110litre boards. Based on Thursdays experience I stuck to my smaller board and planed straight off the beach with a few little jumps over the incoming waves, feeling nicely powered up and I confess a bit smug with my kit choice, enhanced further when I noticed a little later the others had gone in to change down. I was getting into it and looking forward to it getting even better as the tide came in further. Stopped for a drink after 3/4 of an hour and at that point MartinF arrived. I'm not saying that Martin is a jinx :wink: but …...suddenly there seemed to be a lot less movement on the water. I went back out though for another couple of runs in the dying wind and, after being grateful for being able to waterstart on the second, decided to head in. :( Hung around on the beach for a bit, watching the entertainment provided firstly by Nigel as he struggled to get back and then another guy having the same trouble. When that was over there was no option but to pack up and go, in my case via Bristol to see my Mum.

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP » Sun Oct 26, 2008 13:11

Matt has described the situation well.

I hummed and harred over the choice between a 6.5 and the 7.5. Simon arrived and opted for a 5.8, so I decided to be conservative.

Hit the water with the 6.5 on my 112l board and a large 39cm skeg. Had a very hairy trip out and back and decided to change down to the 93l Hark with 10cm less under the water and 2cm more on the downhaul. It was a very good choice until the wind dropped away.

Soo I returned to my Super Gu, and let the sail out again, but by this time the wind was almost gone. It was very wobbly out there and I fell off during a no wind gybe. Tried to water start but there was not even enough wind to fly the rig. Plan b: decided to uphaul. But I had forgotten how difficult it can be with hardly any wind and in choppy waters. I carefully manoeuvred myself into the ideal position and raised the sail swiftly. A bad sense of timing meant there was no wind whatsoever and I just toppled over backwards. Fortunately, I landed in the waterstart position, felt a slight gust and kicked my way back onto the board. There then followed a very anxious wobble back home. I did, however, provide loads of entertainment for all those who had wisely headed back earlier.

It was good while it lasted, but more was promised in the forecast than was delivered. :???: It seems to be the story of my life at the moment.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 19:40

Decided to head over to the Gower for a change and hit Horton as that looked best from the forecasts and I had a weekend pass. No wind anywhere on route almost had me diverting to Afan but stuck with the plan and the trees started to move a bit as I hit the Gower, not much but on arrival folk were out mainly on 5.2/5.3 but overpowered with 1 4.7 going well so opted for the 4.7 (this before the BWA even headed towards Horton :!: ) My ribs were killing me from last weeks umplanned MTB dismount :oops: and almost packed upafter a couple of runs but it is long drive so stuck with it but as much resting as sailing. Okay for a while but underpowered on the inside as the tide rose so changed up to my old 5.3 returned to service after the 5.5 commited suicide on holiday :cry: Just came in to pack up as knackered when Kelvin arrived leading the BWA posse :P Considering the amount of time I spent washing around the inside struggling to get out it was reassuring to see this elite pack also having a few rinsings :roll: Could not leave them to sail alone so carried on but by now was only making 1 run each time. The wind as Kelvin said was now getting interesting, nothing on the inside to loony out back :shock: Kelvin came in to put so much downhaul on his 5.2 the leech was floopy down to the bottom batten :twisted: Glad I did not use up all of the wind before they arrived :lol:

Original plan was to join Rav and his crew at Afan for the W2 ride but struggled so much with my ribs that I thought I might not make it so headed over to Brechfa stopping to buy a replacement helmet on route (Aldi special). The Raven was shut so did the Gorlech which was wet and slippery but safely negotiated before lunch with the only rib problems when breathing really hard - shows how hard yesterdays sailing was.

A good weekend although not too much sunshine on the Sunny side of the bridge 8)

Adrian

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11

wave view from sunday gives general idea was lot knarlier sat

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk